SEAT Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've found that I've got wet carpet in the drivers footwell again over the weekend. I know the common cause for this is the seals in the door, but I've already checked and sealed this up, and there was no sign of damp in the door or on the sill when I did it (the seals actually looked good anyway!)

I think the next cause is air-con leaking, but am I right in thinking this would be passenger side only, because the passenger side is dry.

So after all this, I'm guessing the next step is to check the access from the engine bay to the pedals, i.e. look at the grommits etc.

Can anyone give any advice on what to look for etc? Am I best looking from under the car, or from under the bonnet? Are there any holes under the car that may have been unblocked?

Any ideas greatly appreciated!
Jim

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Pollen filter's passenger side too...

If you're absolutely sure it's not the door seals (Have a good look at the join between the plastic door card and the door for any drips etc) then as you say it sounds like it could be grommits in the bulkhead for the pedals etc

·
Registered
160 Posts
Jim,

Have a look in the Toledo section (or maybe search for posts by my user name)..

..I had a leak that came on the drivers side. It came from the kickplate on the right of the accelerator pedal. It only occurred when I parked uphill too.

Found out that there was an issue with the lower part of the windscreen area - fixed under warranty by FRF Swansea.

Anyway, have a search and see if it's anything like your problem. Good luck..

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same leak on my 03 leon. Water was dripping from above the pedals near the bonnet release lever.
It was caused by a seam in the bulkhead that was not sealed completly.
Seam is a couple of inches below the bottom of the windscreen, if you remove the a-pillar trim and look down the gap you may be able to see it.
I resealed it with silicone and its been dry since.

Neil.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the pointers Dai,
Finally had a free afternoon at the weekend, so I went leak hunting. Only problem is I couldn't get the wiper arms off the car, so I wasn't able to check inside the engine compartment. I followed Pabs guide to replacing wipers, and WD40'd everything and let it soak, but no go...

The good news (well, kind of!) is that I did manage to take the interior trim off from around the door sill and the the pedals, and pulled the carpet up a bit. The water is DEFINITELY coming in from behind the dash, so I'm at least looking in the right place.

Does anyone have any more suggestions for freeing the wiper arms?

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
It's just a case of wriggling them around until they shift unortunately. I changed the rear wiper for an aero one on my Ibiza and that was a pig to get off - car was only a few months old too! :(

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi guys, well I finally got the wipers off!
After soaking in WD40, and leaving them, they still didn't loosen. In the end, I managed to loosen them by wedging a tool behind the arm (a small G-clamp actually!) and and tapping the bolt with a hammer while wiggling again.

The drivers side suddenly released, and came off in my hand, but the passenger side scared the crap out of me: I was suddenly able to turn the wiper arm without resistance, but it still wouldn't come off. I thought I'd broken the spindle, until I tightened both up again, and all was ok.

It may be worth noting that the splines on the car are tapered, so the the arm will be able to spin as it's coming loose!

Ok, past that, I noticed 3 things about my car:

1) The "drip tray" under the scuttle on the drivers side was loose, and probably wasn't catching much
2) The scuttle itself wasn't flush to the bottom of the screen all the way across.
3) The gasket around the block just under the scuttle was damp.

I think what was happening is that water was coming in either by flowing down the windscreen and going under the scuttle, then dripping down, or by going through the slots in the scuttle and missing the "drip tray".

I've now siliconed the drip tray in place, and cleaned out all the crap from the groove in the bottom of the windscreen. There's a tab in the middle of the scuttle that drops into a slot in the metal, and I don't think this was lined up before.

Here's hoping that's another leaky SEAT fixed.

Thanks for all your advice!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.