SEAT Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope anyone using this excellent forum can help.

My new battery only lasts a day or two before going flat. The only electrical problem I have is the interior lights will not switch off when the doors are closed and so are all manually switched off and the luggage space ones are disconnected to stop them coming on.

Typically the car does about 20 miles a day commuting from one town to another. This way the battery lasts about 2 days. When doing local jaunts at the weekend the battery lasts only a day.

It has a Kenwood CD player instead of the standard radio cassette and the immobiliser and alarm appear to be standard, though I am not certain of this.

The alternator light does not come on after starting and so I assume that this part is o.k.

Any ideas?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Deadman

Battery reads 12.5V with engine off. 14.2V with the engine running.

I've also removed the 3A radio fuse from the fuse board after reading about it in your link.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,310 Posts
See if you can measure what the draw from the battery is with the engine off. Just don't turn the ignition on - you'll blow the fuse in your multimeter - most meters are only fused to 10A
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,669 Posts
Disconect the battery and see if it does the same - could be a dodgy battery ???

Beyond that mesure the voltage (at the battery terminals) with the -ve lead off & then again with it connected - do you get a voltage drop ??

Dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've checked the current flow from the battery and have found that there's a wire leading fom the positive terminal of the battery to the body of the injector pump that draws a large current, with the ignition completey off, ie no keys at all. When I remove the wire the glow plug light does not come on and the car will not fire.

When I reconnect the wire (with ignition off) there is an audible click and the ammeter reads a whopping 3.5A before another click then the current drops to around 1.3A. With the ignition on the glow plug light comes on and the car starts.
The wire deffo looks like an after market jobby.

The main cable from the positive terminal draws about 120mA with the ignition off.

Could this be the problem and what could the wire be?
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top