SEAT Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

After a quick chat with Si about how the Regional Databases are going (at a trickle!) .......we thought it'd probably be very good if we s****ped them and aimed for something a lot bigger .......ie.National Members Database.

This will also be the list which allows members to get discounts!!!

The regional moderators will all have access to this database, so we can filter and contact the peeps we want for local meets etc.

Im more than willing to receive all the emails for this one, and build the database, unless someone else is keen to do it.

Let's also get the database criterial rite from the start.

Suggestions and feedback please, before we start this officially......... :D

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I had already posted in the Scottish section requesting details and have had a few come back
I sent out some PM's to peeps who had not come back to me so we will see how long it takes them

I can send you these mails if you wish or can hold them untill I have all the Scots or we decide whats happening

Personally I think a National one would be better, but, this would make it harder for people like say myself to send a message to just the Scots, we would have to remember everyones names and with a growing site that aint gonna be easy

Is there any way we can do a national one but have sub sections?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So we need:

Full Name and Site User Name
Address
Contact Numbers
email address
Car Make and Model
Car Registration
Modifications

Think thats all we would need?

We would have to put something on the main site about this and maybe have [email protected] so it doesnt get muddled?

We can then issue a Member Number and maybe look at some sort of letter or card for them?

All ideas welcomed

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
membership cards would be a good idea but a bit unsure if we are getting ahead of ourselves,
if we did do this then we would also need mail to addresses

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I think an email would be best at the minute
we could look at membership cards down the line somewhere

just another wee point to contemplate,
if we did do membership cards then this would obviously be another way of confirming they are a member, but it would benifit companies who offer discounts if we were buying over the counter

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I've found on mine that people are concious of giving their reg number and modification details as it may compromise security.

Tom

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
details wise ....we should also ask them to state the *region* they are from, so filtering is made easier.

As for cards ....Im sure people would be more than happy to give their details if they were issued a card in return.

Maybe we can get them professionally done, charge X amount for the discount card & have a bit go to charity.

Let's aim to do this rite & aim high :D

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
I think there are lots of valid points here from all and I basically agree with all.

My one concern that I would have is that if we start looking at issuing membership cards and there was a suggestion of charging a small fee, then I feel we would potentially loose new members. Those people that pop in from time to time might not want to bothered with something like that and therefore not register.

I think what I'm trying to say here is that whatever we put in place, may take the committee time to organise, maintain etc., but it musn't cause potential new members too much hassle, they'll just stick to *************.

Maybe to stop the chancers, you only allow a membership/discount card to be sent to a member if they reach x number of posts. This might have to be done in a time period as a second way of weeding out the chancers.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Out of everyone who has sent me their details I only have one who did not give their reg number, none have mentioned mods

what about if we let the members who do wanna take advantage of the dicounts request their card by mail, and not just send one to everybody, the peeps who do request one, I am sure, would not mind sharing info with us as long as we can ensure the details do not get passed to anyone other than the companies we are dealing with

The sooner we can put this sort of thing into place the sooner we can get rid of those inevitable gremlins which cause problems with anything new.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Do you think we should ask for a donation to the site when peeps request their card?

At the end of the day, if we do ask for a donation, when we begin to ask for membership fees (when the site is big enough) then people who have a card already will not complain about having to pay a fee

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
I think membership cards are a good idea, but why not make it so that only those who request one get it - that way new people joining aren't put off/feel obligated by it.
Not sure how well it would work having vendors ask for the card in order to get discount though...

Everyone else has their details in the DB, and can be used to contact them.

Sounds good guys... :)

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Originally posted by DaveMcGo
I think membership cards are a good idea, but why not make it so that only those who request one get it - that way new people joining aren't put off/feel obligated by it.
Not sure how well it would work having vendors ask for the card in order to get discount though...
That is the whole idea of getting those who want to take advantage of the discounts to request their card

As far as companies go, any of the companies who deal with us will know we are issuing cards and if someone was to enter a shop mention the site and be unable to produce a card then the vendour would not be able to give the discount, simple. :D

what does everyone think about asking for a donation to the site instead of charging a membership fee just now ?

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Originally posted by Cupra Dave
As far as companies go, any of the companies who deal with us will know we are issuing cards and if someone was to enter a shop mention the site and be unable to produce a card then the vendour would not be able to give the discount, simple. :
What about phone orders?

Donations... no problem, and of course we should ask - it's for a good cause innit?

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Phone orders would be easy too

The companies we deal with would hold the basically the same info as us but not as detailed and would be able to take the membership number from the caller and cross ref it to confirm they are who they say they are

·
Registered
69,316 Posts
I think a membership card is a good idea. We could give each member a number ( which could be put on the card ) and then vendors could use a database we give them with all the numbers on to check against...

I'm thinking though that for the time being maybe we should put this idea on hold. Just until the site is back on an even keel. I mean recent events have maybe set us back a little and we need to try and get everything already organised ( RR'ds, Trax etc ) fully sorted out before taking on anything new.

Does that sound fair?

Pete

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
I think that does make sense, I do feel that we are spreading our thoughts a bit too thinly at the moment. Once TRAX has happened we should be able to focus on other things a bit more clearly 'cos I know at the moment my head is buzzing with too many things.

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
We'll get there folks! It's great there are so many ideas on the go...imagine if there wasnt, what a dull and boring bunch we would be!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts