SEAT Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ello

Like the other thread going on in ere ....I think it's time to sort my brakes out!

I can get hold of VW brake parts very cheap ..BUT ...should I opt for anything better, cos franky, my brakes are poo!

Lookin to do discs and pads ........need sum recommendations if ya please :)

Wouldn't mind spending a bit more for an improvement of course :g

·
Registered
69,316 Posts
I have been thinking the same thing Smithy, how about some grooved discs and some nice pads? I think we would need to talk to F2 Stu as he's the breaks man around these parts. When u say u can get some VW parts cheap what do u mean? Would they just be some GTi breaks or something?

Come on give us an idea cuz if they r cheap ill might have a go at some :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Smithy,

Hold da phone a minute mate!

My Brembo's are almost complete so we could do a deal on some 280mm cupra 20vt brakes for ya!

Choise of disks to, standard or grooved!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Always wheeling and dealing aint ya Mr Steve ....... Hey Tom I have some standard 20vt discs sitting here as well at my place!

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
i'll have a set of 20VT brakes up 4 sale soon aswell ;)

here come my BREMBO'S :D :D :D

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
think mine r already sold anyway :p :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
WOW! :g

that sounds greeeeaaatt!!!! Must be a FIRST having a 1.4 with 20VT standard brakes? :)

is it as simple as just replacing the brake bits and bobs behind the wheel? Nuffin else needed is there?

Excuse my non-mechanically minded mind :p

Another one for a mechancial day? :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
did the standard 20VT brakes have red calipers too?

......well, we have 3 sets of standard 20VT brakes going round I guess ....Im sure Haris and AndyJ wouldnt mind the conversion too :)

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
mine arn't going on a 1.4 :( i got a mate with a 2.0 8v who might buy em off me :) if not i'll gladdly sell 2 whoever want's em ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
right .......come on them boys, give us some prices here! :)

We're doing u a favour by takin these unwanted brakes off yur hands, so u can get sum money back towards ya Brembo's :elo:

Quotes needed for me to drool at please :D

·
Registered
69,316 Posts
Right my fingers in the pie too! I want I want :D How easy is it to change them? I know the discs shouldn't be too hard, but what about the shoes etc. Im not completely unmechanically minded but i want to know if its gonna be worth the hassel?

20VT breaks here we come :D

·
Registered
827 Posts
Originally posted by Smithy
WOW! :g

that sounds greeeeaaatt!!!! Must be a FIRST having a 1.4 with 20VT standard brakes? :)

I doubt it smithy, you will need GTI/Cupra hubs, they will not just simply bolt on:no:

it just so happens that I have a pair of GTI hubs with new flanges and bearings ready for the said conversion, And Im keeping them:g

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
wot kinda money are we lookin at here ....for a pair of GTI hubs with new flanges and bearings????

cos anything is better than the standard brakes I have!! :wound:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If it helps somebody out to do the conversion which will be nice for the site then I will make it worth your while as they are sitting on my wardrobe!

·
Registered
827 Posts
It depends, GTI/Cupra hubs wont be easy to come by, prices can vary from £50 - £150 second hand both sides, even more new:(
hubs off a mk2 golf 16v/g60 (4stud) or corrado 16v/g60 should fit as well,

then you may have to change the drive flanges and will most probaly change the bearings too

Front wheel bearings £37.80 (PAIR)
Front drive flanges £28.20 (PAIR)
from GS&F

so far its cost me £100 in bits, so far

1 - 20 of 29 Posts