SEAT Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder if anyone can help.

A couple of weeks ago my wipers, both front and back started to switch themselves on intermittently. Now nearly every time I’m in the car they come on and won’t go off unless I frantically wiggle around the wiper stalk.

I’ve taken off the steering column cover to see if I can see anything wrong. From what I can work out I think the wires have broken down near the pivot point of the stalk. I’m going to order a new stalk, however it appears I will have to take the steering wheel off.

Can anyone offer advice on how to take the steering wheel off safely without blowing the airbag?

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
disconnect your battery for about half a hour before hand....remove the 3 allen keys behind the wheel, remove the airbag carefully and um from what i know thats about it.

You might just find that the contacts are dirty, to be honest I'd be very weary of removing the airbag myself but guess it cant be that difficult

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
truCido;783743 said:
disconnect your battery for about half a hour before hand....remove the 3 allen keys behind the wheel, remove the airbag carefully and um from what i know thats about it.

You might just find that the contacts are dirty, to be honest I'd be very weary of removing the airbag myself but guess it cant be that difficult
What three allen keys behind the wheel?? To take the wheel off there are two holes behind the wheel insert a flat blade screwdriver in to the holes and twist...this should release the spring clip that holds the airbag in place. Might take a few attempts at doing it but you will know when the airbag is free....

Daz..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I'll see what i can do. There is 3 bolts at the back of the wheel, which i assume hold the airbag and horn assembly in place. I'll try disconnecting the battery for 30mins and see what happens.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.