SEAT Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Just brought a new head unit for my car (Sony CDX-M8800)

I was just wondering if the seat's use standard ISO connections for their factory fitted head units, or if any wires need to be swapped around etc, or if you simply just plug the head unit in, and its done!

Any help on this would be appreciated

Sellw88

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh rite.

Connected it up, and it all works fine, just need to fit it in as i was only testing.

Halfords said i would need a new fascia for it? or is this another way for them to get money out of you??? wouldnt surprise me.

sellw88

·
Registered
6,302 Posts
sellw88;782090 said:
Oh rite.

Connected it up, and it all works fine, just need to fit it in as i was only testing.

Halfords said i would need a new fascia for it? or is this another way for them to get money out of you??? wouldnt surprise me.

sellw88
Its another way to get money from you ;) The Mk4 doesn't need any fascia adapters, its just a standard single DIN slot (or double DIN if you remove the cubby tray. To be honest, the Mk4 Ibiza is probably one of the few cars of recent years that doesn't need any sort of fascia adapter, so I'm not surprised they're saying that ;)

BTW, it will work fine without swapping the two wires over, but every time you turn off the engine, the radio will loose its settings :(

·
Registered
47 Posts
The only way I have found the stereo to keep the settings is power both yellow and red (switch live and permanent live) from the cars permanent supply. If you have bought a decent head unit then you should be able to do this with the harness supplied with the head unit. Just plug the red and yellow wires into the red one.... there should be bullet connectors on the stereo harness. The only problem with this is that you have to turn the head unit off manually everytime you switch the ignition off.

Also the wiring is a pig to fit in at the back. The best easiest way I found was: 1) Take the tray out. 2) fit cage in the top of the recess and bend the tags over on the sides and the top. 3) Connect the wires and slide the head unit into the cage, supporting both with 1 hand. 4) With the other hand tuck the cabling into the recess where the cars harness comes from, don't forget the aerial lead. And push the stereo home til it locks into the cage, still supporting it with your hand. 5) Slide the tray in below, you have to "manipulate" the tray slightly to get in under the bottom edge of the cage but "it will go". 6) Once the tray is fitted and pushed home, this will stop the stereo from moving.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Apparantly, swapping the tray and the head unit makes things slightly easier (you'll have to put the tray in upside-down). Also, don't forget you'll need an aerial amplifier especially if you live in a poor reception area. Power the amplifier from the blue wire coming from the head unit (tape the one coming from the car up).

HTH

1 - 7 of 7 Posts