SEAT Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've owned many cars but this is the first from the VAG group. Its a black 2yr old Sport with 20k miles, very clean and from a local Toyota dealer who'd just knocked 1.5k off it.

I needed a comfy auto due to a back problem but still wanted some poke and the 2.0 with DSG seemed to fit the bill perfectly.

Very impressed with the test drive, seats are superb, my trade in had factory Recaros which I thought couldn't be bettered but the Altea's are much better.

Ride is very compliant, firm but not jarring although there was a little roll around my favourite roundabout.

Engine and gearbox was a revelation, immediate 'nod free' changes, very quiet, great rolling acceleration. I didn't switch it to S mode but tried a quick start from a junction, between flooring the throttle and real acceleration there was a second pause before it took off. Is this usual ? due to the turbo ? will it go in S mode ?

There is a Jap test of the DSG Golf on YouTube and they try something they term 'launch control', left foot on the brake, right foot adjusting rpm to peak torque/power then let go with the brake for faster acceleration. It worked, beat all its manual gearbox rivals bar one. Anyone had a go ?

How does the DSG deal with TDi tuning ? the FR has 170hp and this seems possible but how happy is the DSG with this extra power ? Who would be best to do this ?

Finally I'm in West Yorks, where should I get it serviced ?, independant or main dealer, what experience do you have ?

Lots of questions I know, I look forward to your answers and taking part on the forum.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,302 Posts
Glad your enjoying the new car. The pause when you pull away from a junction is one of the main downsides to the DSG unfortunately. Going in to S mode will improve things, but it'll still be there. I tend to combat it by coming up on the brake just before I want to hit the gas, as the clutch will have engaged then by the time you want to pull away. I haven't tried the launch control feature yet. Apparently, it has only been enabled on the TDi DSG equipped cars in the last year, so yours may not have it. But yeah, basically, put in it in S, TCS off, left foot on the brake, revs up to about 2500rpm I think, and then release the brake. Mine is barely run in (just passed 1800 miles this weekend), so didn't want to try it before everything had bedded in, but will definately be giving it a go. Not something to try everyday at the traffic lights though ;)

As for remapping the 2.0TDi, it seems the DSG is perfectly happy with the extra power they bring, but its the torque that causes the problems, so most tuners will keep the torque figure lower for the DSG. In West Yorks you could look at JBS in Chesterfield who have a good reputation for both looking after the maintainance of VAG group cars and for peformance stuff like remaps. Also, over on Audi-Sport.net, the Superchips Bluefin product seems to be getting very favourable reviews if you just want a remap that you can easily take off.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that Alan.

Seems that TDi tuning runs from £350 to £600 and whilst I do like the sound of Bluefin I can't help thinking it is nothing more than a standard tune wrapped inside a fancy box with a link to Superchips. I think I'll run the car for a while before I go down that road.

On a different note after a few hours shopping around I have found a fully comp protected ncd policy for £220 with Privilege, £350xs which is more than I'd normally have but I'll take a risk.

What mpg are people getting from this engine/gearbox combination ?

·
Registered
6,302 Posts
mjr600;783578 said:
What mpg are people getting from this engine/gearbox combination ?
Not really sure yet, its still on the increase. The first few tankfuls were around 38mpg, but I have been doing a lot of round town and short trip journeys with that, so I'm not too dissapointed. I had a long run at the weekend, and saw figure in the high 40's, which I'm happy with for now, especially given my non-conservative driving style ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts