SEAT Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mums Cupra is squeaking like anything!

When she puts the car in reverse and gently brakes while rolling in the drive, you get a horrible friction squeal from the brakes under gentle pressure.

My mum would like to know if anyone has the same prob and if so what have you done about it?!

·
Registered
502 Posts
My AP's have been squeaking for a while now.....and its all down to brake dust!

Paid £50 to have the front brakes taken off and cleaned at the service....worked for about 30mins before i abused them..and the squeal is back!

It squels more at low speed and light braking than when i slam them on from 100+......hehehe....

so i'm just given them some real **** at the mo....so that i have an excuse to change the pads really! :D

G

·
Originally posted by toXXin
My mums Cupra is squeaking like anything!

When she puts the car in reverse and gently brakes while rolling in the drive, you get a horrible friction squeal from the brakes under gentle pressure.

My mum would like to know if anyone has the same prob and if so what have you done about it?!
Unfortuanatley brake squeak is here to stay,

Its caused by the high metal content of the pads, when lightly pressed against a metal disk its bound to squeak.

It does do it at higher speeds as well but the road noise make hearing it almost impossible.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Had the same problem on my leon cupra,garage changed rear pads still did'nt cure.Then all of a sudden wen't i'm glad really anoying sound as well.:)

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
It will be worse in summer, because of the dry dust building up on the pads/discs.

Answer is to keep the car and wheels clean and even regularly take off the wheels and clean the brake area with a brush to remove excess dust.

My stock brakes were SO bad that I had to change to a different compound pad. I chose the EBC Greenstuff (which I know some people don't like and prefer Pagids), and I have found them to be not only much better in terms of performance, but they squeak a LOT less and in fact have hardly squeaked at all in the past 6 months or so of having them...

Change your brakes or keep em clean.. one of two choices I reckon.. ;)

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bringing this back to the top as my mums really fed up of it now.

How much would a Pagid setup cost? We personally don't like EBC, had them on our Puma and they caused more trouble than they were worth!

·
Registered
94 Posts
I put Pagid on the front of mine and it cost £45. No more squeal. Well worth the money. Reverse sometimes squeals still but nowhere near the amount the front did.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's the reverse squeal that is getting on her nerves so thats what we are trying to eliminate. How much squeal do you get?

·
Registered
37 Posts
This problem is due to Aspestos being removed from pads, if you go down to your local jet wash and clean them out the noise should stop. I found my first leon had this problem and this stopped after a few thousand miles. I hope this is of some help???

·
Registered
379 Posts
You need to apply some copper-based grease to the backs of the pads - that usually stops the squeal.

Cheap pads often squeal too.

Now regulation 90 pads are with us, there isn't really anything such as a cheap pad - Reg90 stipulates the brake pad must meet or exceed OEM specs.

G

·
My Leon does this from time to time but only if turning slightly right in reverse while braking gently this can't be the pads can it:confused:

Keep forgetting about it because it's not often I find myself in this situation:D

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I manage OK with the car but it's my mum and she doesn't like it!

I'm gonna sort something out, I have tried brake cleaner and it hasnt worked!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts