SEAT Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused:

Hello all,
Now can anybody help me out, i am going to be looking for a Seat Ibiza or Corborda soon, and want some advice on them.

I was looking to spend about 4k so which would be better for my money, gti,cupra 16v or 8v ?????? and whats the diffrences.

Also does anybody else who has one of these tell me what the insurance is like i am 22 with only 2yrs NCD due to shunt in june does anybody have idea's on fully comp ???

Hope some one out there can help.
Golden. :p

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
Welcome to the forum GOLDEN....you should have no problem picking up something for £4k.

I paid £2.8K for a 1998 Ibiza GTi Cupra Sports but that was a bloody good deal. Average for that year I'd say betwwen £3,750 and £4,500.

I don't know how sporty you want to go but somebody posted a N reg one that looked pretty cool on here not so long ago £3k I believe.

·
Registered
69,316 Posts
Hi Golden, hope u enjoy the site!

I dont drive a Cupra of any sort just a plain 1.4 Ibiza, u know how insurance is, plus its my first car etc! But my advice to u, is try and get a late spec as possible. Anything thats earlier than a 96 N will most probably have the small bumpers (like mine if u look in the gallery) they will be painted, it will be best to get a late spec "Face Lift" model if u wish!

Have u thought about colours, or will they not play a factor in ur selection of Ibiza?

Other usefull information, is ur typical every day driving style, do u like to thrash the car every where at high revs, or like me r u pretty lazy with ur gear changes? If u like to thrash the car u may prefer the 16V model as to get its preformance u have to take it up to the highier end of the rev range. The 8V's performance is at low revs so will suit a lazier driver.

Anyways u might want to research it more before commiting to a decision etc. Might even be worth taking both versions for a test drive if u can, and asking peoples opinions who actually have a 16V and a 8V Cupra!

Hope this has proved helpfull

Happy Ibiza Hunting

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Golden,

I just recently traded in my Cordy with Rustys at S****horpes. is still for sale at £4995.00.

If you fancied that it would be a really great buy, its been chipped to 170bhp, has twin headlights, sc performance bumper and powerflow exhuast.

Insurance wise, probally be about £850 ish, thru Adrian Flux.

Ovv

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Hi mate ive got the 8v jobbie and from what ive seen so far (had the car 2wks) its everything I needed its fast but insurance friendly, agile but built like a tank, and its easy to keep the mpg really good yet have that lowend power to play with. From what ive heard the 16v is more punchy slightly higher up the rev range and of course has more bhp but is a few groups higher.

Hope u get one soon cause ya wont regret it

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:D :D :D :D :D
Cheer for that lads, i have just done a quote online for a GTI valver and it was 977 full comp with direct line, hmmm not too bad as i have just had a shunt so lost 2 yrs NCD, i had a astra 16v for my last car and loved that you could just put your foot down so might have to go for the rev'er 16v jobbie!.

Cheers for the advice so far!!!

·
Registered
853 Posts
Not sure what the normal insurance costs are - Mine was a ex SBG/Seat Dealer demo car. Phone the insurance company and told them the interior was original and nowt else, then gave them my Credit card...:beye: :beye: :beye:

I shudder to think what a modded Seat would cost in your 20's - I'm 34 going on 12 - I have to lie down for a week at renewal time.

Back box, K&N filter (panel filter replacement), Drilled air box should get you some tasty noises and bhp without affecting your insurance.

I wouldn't want to be partisan but a Cordy it a bit more rare.. Eh Brendy?:D

A 1.6 Cordoba Coupe is a nice motor - a bit more insurance friendly, comes in the right ;) colours (plus air con).

Would be interesting to check out what the relative costs would be for modified Cupra / 16v Cordys versus other models.

If you can get Air Con go for it (16v ers usually) - it impresses the VW GTI mob (I couldn't get a MK3 16v GTI with air con - one reason why I ended up with 'Ol Yeller). Of course it is more common on the later models.

If you are not bothered about Air Con then the 8v is probably a better bet - more torque, unless you replace the cams on the 16v.

I've got an article somewhere about a family that had a 16v Cupra and an 8v GTI Beezer - Don't ask me for it though I have no idea where it is (must be 3-4 years old). needless to say they liked them both!!

If you are thinking of modding, try and get one that has had some of the engine (expensive!!!) work done. There are a few people moving over to the 1.8T engined models so you may be able to pick something up...

Don't pay over the odds for modded cars (sigh) even if they are demo cars (double sigh). Bought mine just before the bottom fell out of the 2nd hand market in '99 (tripple sigh).

Also check out who in SeatEnthusiasts and SeatCupraNet is in your area (usually the same suspects) to help out with some tyre kicking of a Saturday Morning they will (hopefully know what to look out for).

Hope that's not too much info...

Now, where's that wine glass......

Anyway take your time, don't rush, think yellow thoughts....

·
Registered
69,316 Posts
Thats one of my reasons for getting a later spec model, ull have more options as standard! If u can go for a car with A/C not only is it very handy at getting rid of foggy windows when it rains/doing it with the bird, but is a good resale factor!

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Mmm or how about a vr6 out of a corrado 2.9 v6 could be funny

The ibiza is a bit more common not like vtr vts common but there is more than the cordy, its just a case of hatch or saloon either way theyre great fun cars, i dont mind no air con cause it adds a wee bit of wieght plus it drinks more petrol come to think of it i aint got a sunroof either...rollcage here i come........

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.