SEAT Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had an oil catch can plumbing problem for a while now. The problem being how to connect it properly. Since I've an old LEON 20VT APP engine, I can't look at RobDon's install, and duplicate it.

In the pic, I've numbered the places I think there's "connection points", hence these places are the ones to connect the can to, somehow, I think.

I think the possible oil travels out from #2 down to #3, meets the oil from #3 and travel up to #4. From #4, both "streams" travel up to #1 and further in/down. How lost am I?

Can I omit the black round part marked #1 when having a oil catch can?

I'm confused, can someone plz enlighten me here?

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
1 is your PCV valve, don't remove that. I now have 2 going straight to a breather filter via a hose, not connected to catch can at all. I removed all the factory junk hoses and ran a hose from down below 3 to the catch can, then from the can to 1, the PCV valve.

Make any sense?

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Made some sense, not much. Why would you want oily air in your enginebay?

Ok, here's another pic, different angle, same numbers. Can you draw a possible way of connecting. Without a breather filter in the bay.

I can't get how I can "cover" all hoses and ends, do I need to shut one of the openings with a endcap or?

The more I look at this, the less sense it makes. I usually find my way around in the car, but not now. :banghead:

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
RobDon said:
1 is your PCV valve, don't remove that. I now have 2 going straight to a breather filter via a hose, not connected to catch can at all. I removed all the factory junk hoses and ran a hose from down below 3 to the catch can, then from the can to 1, the PCV valve.

Make any sense?
PCV valve is on the front block side... one way valve to manifold.
Forge are making an Ibiza oil catch tank currently for me, test fitment tomorrow. Makes use of my Seat Sport baffled sump which has extra drain pipe to it. Catch tank will route both block and cylinder head fumes and oil carry over into the catch tank which is internally baffled and drained, into sump. Breather for this is TBC as I'm not sure I want an open filter, as it will still fume oily smelly fume. Maybe I will recirc the fume outlet back down the intake again. Not sure.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
badger5 said:
PCV valve is on the front block side... one way valve to manifold - snip-.
??? Is it, or is it not the black round thingy marked #1.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
v-g said:
??? Is it, or is it not the black round thingy marked #1.
PCV is on the front of the block and is the T-piece which goes to the inlet manifold. Its a one way valve so under vacuum, oil mist gets drawn up and into the inlet manifold...

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, Bill, you're messing with my mind here now :D
I think many ppl have gotten this wrong, or it's me who don't understand English...

Anyway, can you start an image editor and put an arrow on the PCV? And while you're at it, where should the hoses from the can be "put in the loop" at?

And you wrote: "Breather for this is TBC..." Come again? The breather is what?!

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Apparently, nobody do this thing everyday...

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You can't tell me the location of the PCV while you're at it, FezzR?

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Where's the knowledge on this subject/topic?

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
v-g said:
Where's the knowledge on this subject/topic?
The PCv is on the front of the block in the middle. Follow the metal pipe from the breather by the cylinder head joint back towards the block and you will find it. It has a T-piece which goes to the inlet manifold.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So what is the best way to fix this? The short answer is: you have to take apart your catch can. It’s not fun and will take a bit of time, but it must be done in order to prevent oil from escaping through the pressure cap.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts