SEAT Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just got my 20VT, with 5300 miles, March 02, AYP engine.

I want to do an oil change, then get the rest done at 10k service.

I asked local SEAT dealer and they said they use some 10w40 semi synth oil as standard.

Any recommendations on grade and type of oil. The car will have oil changes at least evry 5k, maybe every 3k.

Thanks

P.S. Any other service items I should do now?

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
I waited until 10k to change my oil (didn't get round to change at 5k as I wanted to).

I changed the oil to Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic 0W40.... the car seems to like it.. runs sweetly..

I am planning on changing every 5k from here on.. although I might not have the car by the time it is 20k as I am looking to change it.. but I will be sticking with Mobil 1 fully synth I reckon..

I believe that the dealerships tend to stoick Quantum Gold.. and there fully synth isn't too bad.. so possibly ask them to stick that in.. or go to a shop and get your own Mobil 1 and provide the dealership with it at service..

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Oh yeh.. forgot to say..

Welcome to the site.. and conragtulations on the new Cupra.. a superb car.. sure you will love it.

Enjoy..

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Originally posted by Scoobster
I waited until 10k to change my oil (didn't get round to change at 5k as I wanted to).

I changed the oil to Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic 0W40.... the car seems to like it.. runs sweetly..

I am planning on changing every 5k from here on.. although I might not have the car by the time it is 20k as I am looking to change it.. but I will be sticking with Mobil 1 fully synth I reckon..

I believe that the dealerships tend to stoick Quantum Gold.. and there fully synth isn't too bad.. so possibly ask them to stick that in.. or go to a shop and get your own Mobil 1 and provide the dealership with it at service..
Any startup rattles?
Was'nt sure I wanted to run thin Mobil1 in mine from previous experience..

Any machanical changes to be heard after changing?

cheers
Bill

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Yes @ Bill..

The Mobil 1 0W40 does slightly increase the 'rattling' on cold startup... it disappears within a minute or so and purrs like a cat after that... I don't usually shift my car for a minute or two after startup anyway to let the engine settle and the turbo warm up..

It runs like a dream in general though.. Gets up to temperature really quickly.

I had heard that I might get a few more cold start rattles when using fully synth and 0W40 so wasn't too worried when it did it.. don't think it is anything to worry about though.. as long as you don't give it a thrashing in the first minute or so.. ?!? I assume that is correct.. ??

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was thinking Mobil 1, but thought same as Bill - a bit too thin.

Also considering Magnatec, I think they may do a fully synth 5w40, as I do a lot of fairly short journeys, and found it excellent in previous car.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Shell Helix PLUS is 10W40 and fully synthetic.

I changed my oil & filter a couple of weeks ago (used Magnatec 10W40).

Two things to note -

1.The oil filter was very tight and there's not much room in there to get it off.

2.You can't actually get the oil filter out through the bottom without unbolting an ancilliary pump - something I only discovered after I'd unscrewed the filter. It's not obvious, and in the course of realising this I managed to drop the filter so hot oil p*ssed out all over the garage floor. Then I had the 'amusing' experience of trying to pick up the now-slippery filter.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Originally posted by Scoobster
Yes @ Bill..

The Mobil 1 0W40 does slightly increase the 'rattling' on cold startup... it disappears within a minute or so and purrs like a cat after that... I don't usually shift my car for a minute or two after startup anyway to let the engine settle and the turbo warm up..

It runs like a dream in general though.. Gets up to temperature really quickly.

I had heard that I might get a few more cold start rattles when using fully synth and 0W40 so wasn't too worried when it did it.. don't think it is anything to worry about though.. as long as you don't give it a thrashing in the first minute or so.. ?!? I assume that is correct.. ??
I was wondering as my 16v Jetta did'nt take to Mobil 1 at all. Rattled like a pig from cold start (hydraulic followers rattled) and oil pressure was lower than on my regular 10W40 Multigrade.

My 20VT runs on Magnatec at the moment as thats what Amethyst use. Seems Ok, gets changed every 5K (Opps missed one!)

I was going to look for another grade Mobil 1 which is a bit more viscous. (have'nt done so yet tho!)

regards
Bill

·
Registered
314 Posts
Funny one this , I asked my pal who owns a motor factors about what kind of Oil to run mine on a couple of days ago.....

He has a S3 and when he spoke to his Dealership they recommended only to use there specific 20VT Oil - which is mega expensive. He then asked his Valvoline rep who said that they do a Oil which is to the exact spec as the Vag stuff - still not cheap though lol

I am not very Tech minded but from what my pal says Oil comes in very different qualitys . He dosnt rete Magnatec or what every it is very highly at all infact commenting on the fact that it is a marketing ploy and is a very low spec.

He stocks all the different Oils and yet he only recommend's Vavoline.

·
Registered
123 Posts
theres a very long arguement going at the moment on http://www.vwvortex.com ref this very thing. concensus seems to be the mobil1 0/40. theres a list of all the top brands that conform to vw specs too if anyone cares to look it up. ill try to find the post later. why bother changing the filter at all, theyre designed to last 10k so why not only change the oil every 5k(i know youll still have some old oil in the filter)

G

·
Originally posted by Crofter
Funny one this , I asked my pal who owns a motor factors about what kind of Oil to run mine on a couple of days ago.....

He has a S3 and when he spoke to his Dealership they recommended only to use there specific 20VT Oil - which is mega expensive. He then asked his Valvoline rep who said that they do a Oil which is to the exact spec as the Vag stuff - still not cheap though lol

I am not very Tech minded but from what my pal says Oil comes in very different qualitys . He dosnt rete Magnatec or what every it is very highly at all infact commenting on the fact that it is a marketing ploy and is a very low spec.

He stocks all the different Oils and yet he only recommend's Vavoline.
The oil your friend is refering to is AVS oil( Audi variable servicing)

It is not 20vt specific, there are 2 types(grades) 1 is for all engines including diesels, N/A petrols, and most turbo petrols, The other is a higher performace grade only for 225 TT's/S3's and Bi turbo engines.

I use Syntha gold personally, cheap, no rattle at start up and exelent(?) quality.

If you going to change it every 5k(like me) then i wouldn't bother with Mobil 1 or other big £££ oils.

Magnetec is good, well good enough for porsche to recomend, thats good enough for me!(But i can get syntha gold for free:elo: )

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My boyfriend spoke to one of the mechanics at our local Seat garage, and they use Shell Helix 10w40.

He reckoned Mobil 1 too thin for the cupra, and will go through seals - said 5w40 was thinnest he'd go for.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
i use same as steve synta gold every 5k

but that's also coz i have a good deal with me local dealer ;)

G

·
I will leave that to you mate you are the expert on these things, I am ready to be taught and I have a nice little list!

G

·
Oh yes and one day I will teach you the art of blagging as taught by Sgt Blagpot! :D

I put me little list on the mechanical day thread now!

·
Registered
69,316 Posts
Ok its not a Cupra its only an Ickle 1.4 8v but i still want to look after it u know (even though its got 70+k on it and im the 3rd owner :( ) When i first bought the car i changed the oil as it was completly black and tar like! I put that Castrol Magnatec stuff in and changed the oil and airfilter. I've done about 3.5k scince then and that all around town, no long distance stuff. Would u recommend a oil change now, or should i wait until i clock it up to 5k like most people here r doing? I don't know if any1 else will know the answer to this as u've all got 20VT's but whats a good oil for my car and driving situation (e.g. short stints around town, traffic etcs, rarelly get it on motorways)?

Im also thinking about replacing my sparks as i haven't replaced them scince i bought the car. I took them out and gave them a good clean though! What do u guys recommned? Are Bosch any good?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts