SEAT Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay just looking around on autotrader website and v5s seem to be going for very little money. now a fully loaded spec one would be exactly what im looking for but with one drastic problem.... 2.3 ltr v5 engine. fair enough its a great motor i presume, but with rep of ireland road tax and insurance costs its a total no go. hence me wondering would a engine swop to a tdi be possible at a sensible price???

any ideas on costs?
parts needed?
would a 2.3ltr v5 engine be worth much to make back some of the swop costs?

maybe would a 1.8 20v be simpler or cheaper? but i think the diesels power &economy is wat im after.

any ideas and feedback very welcome, thanks in advance

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi,

I think it maybe better if you went about it the other way around, by getting a 1.8 or tdi 110 in the first place. Then changing the bits inside to match the spec you want.

If you did manage to change the engine from a 2.3 to 1.9 or 1.8, it would be difficult to get an insurance company to give you the same quote as an official 1.9 or 1.8. Plus it would be interesting getting the transport authority to reclassify a V5 for road tax.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Nicky
Did this swap years ago (on a Fiesta XR2i with a knackered motor)
was a complete bloody nightmare with insurance and documentation, plus now everyone uses the VIN number, or equivalent, to order parts you would need to reference 2 numbers depending what parts you need
Go out and find a good 110 SE Tdi and spend your time driving it
"It seemed like a good idea at the time" never rang more true

·
Registered
30 Posts
Forget it ! Don,t start swopping engines around with mod con engines these days to much hassle, with wiring looms and ecu's, save your self the hassle and make a choice between 1.8 se and tdi se model, have most of the extra's a v5 has, then get yourself some v5 interior and alloys, it will be easier, at least you will have a car on the road and it's a question of just swopping parts around, you will have less of a headache, the diesel engine of course will be more economical, but when it comes to repairs more expensive, the 1.8 petrol engine is a good engine, but is a MUST to keep on top of cam belt changes, not just the belt but change cambelt tensioners aswell, when belt is changed, hope this helps

1 - 5 of 5 Posts