SEAT Automobiles Forum banner

Plastic Engine cover

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  maddave 
#1 ·
Not sure if it is the same on all Leons, but I've got a 2003 1.6 16v Leon. Trying to get the plastic cover off the engine so I can get to the spark plugs and air filter to change them. I've unscrewed 3 screws at the back of the cover, but not sure what else I need to do to get it to budge, any ideas?
Thanks

#2 ·
Can't help sorry, sounds like it's different to the Cupra R engine cover.

For that you have to undo 2 screws at the front, take off the oil filler cap and slide the cover off towards you.

Simply undoing the screws and lifting it will snap the retaining lugs at the back, as I found out... cost over £200 for a replacement cover!

#4 ·
You shouldn't need to unscrew anything. There are four lugs which it "pops" into. Grab it buy the rear right hand corner. Rear is rear of the car as you face it. Pull it up hard. You will feel it pop as it comes away from the lug. Then get the right front corner and do the same. Then the left front corner, then the rear left corner until its been released. You will find there is a breather hose attached to the rear left corner. Grab this and give it a few twists until it is removed from the cover.

The cover is held on quite firmly but will come off if pulled upwards sharply. Always scary the first time.

You can then turn it upside down and undo the screws to get at the air filter.

Refitting is just a matter of popping it back into the four lugs. Replace the breather and done.

David.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.