SEAT Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all,
Ive turned me GFB dump valve round so its the correct way now but the turbos having trouble reaching 1 psi on the boost gauge, only reaches jus past 0.5. also the turbo whistle is not as high piched as it normaly is. do you recon its something to do with the set up of the GFB dumpvalve?

cheers,

James

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
1psi.. ???

you mean 1 bar?

I believe the standard Ibiza runs at about 0.7bar..

So whichever one you are getting I would either say you aren't running the car standard, your boost meter is incorrectly connected, or something is freaky with your car as I can't see how it can run 1psi.. ???

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ahh yes, 1 bar, thats the one.
im planning to take the car on a rolling road test because im not sure if its standard or not. Last owner has done quite a few things to it which the garage didnt tell me about. could be chipped. if it running at 1 bar does that mean its been chipped?

James.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Originally posted by jamesbill_uk
ahh yes, 1 bar, thats the one.
im planning to take the car on a rolling road test because im not sure if its standard or not. Last owner has done quite a few things to it which the garage didnt tell me about. could be chipped. if it running at 1 bar does that mean its been chipped?

James.
1bar is chipped yes.
0.5 bar is the stock figure more or less.

Bill

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that suprises me, i never knew the car was chipped. figures because the car has started to run badley with the GFB dump valve on and worked fine with the forge 006. i definately am gonna get it rolling road tested. very curious to see how much horse power it has

cheers,

James

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
that suprises me, i never knew the car was chipped. figures because the car has started to run badley with the GFB dump valve on and worked fine with the forge 006. i definately am gonna get it rolling road tested. very curious to see how much horse power it has

cheers,

James
Are you sure your gauge is accurate?
Why would'nt you know if the car was chipped or not?

I guess you bought it as standard from someone?

Bill

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
James,
Surely you would of been able to tell if your car is chipped!! I would of thought that would of been one of the selling points! Lucky Ba*tard if it is:rolleyes: :g

What was it reading when you had it fitted the other way round?
Maybe you should re fit the forge and see what sort of reading on the boost gauge you are getting.

Anyway if it turns out your car is chipped can I get first refusal on the GFB but me thinks its not as you reported it working ok fitted the way you did first time round.

Gareth

·
Registered
502 Posts
sounds like you have a chipped car to me mate...

you are describing the classic symptoms of what happens when you run a GFB on a chipped motor (from the guys who tested it on here)...

ECU is wayyyy too smart...knows there is extra loss in the system somewhere...so won't let you get full boost......

GFB on chipped car = NO GO!

put the Forge back on...i bet you'll find it runs fine then.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i not sure if the guage is accurate.
the reason i think it could be chipped is because. when i bought it the guy at the garage said the only modifications are the boost guage. after checking the car out when i got home i found the milltek exaust system and a forge 006 dump valve. the previous owner had fitted all these things.
tried the forge tonight and seened to run a bit better but nit that much better. bit confused:confused:

James.

·
Registered
502 Posts
where did you get the car from james?

not really sure what tests you can do right now to see if its chipped or not.....

I wonder if ya car has been 210'd :D :D :D

G

·
hey all,
Ive turned me GFB dump valve round so its the correct way now but the turbos having trouble reaching 1 psi on the boost gauge, only reaches jus past 0.5. also the turbo whistle is not as high piched as it normaly is. do you recon its something to do with the set up of the GFB dumpvalve?

cheers,

James
You car has gone into safe mode mate.

The ECU has detected the air leak on disabled the dv.

G

·
Originally posted by SIDE SHOW TURBO

Anyway if it turns out your car is chipped can I get first refusal on the GFB but me thinks its not as you reported it working ok fitted the way you did first time round.

Gareth
Mine worked ok for a while, then the ecu learnt it was there!

·
Registered
555 Posts
As we were saying earlier steve its a closed loop system the ECU knows how much air has gone in and how much should be there if there is a difference it will think there is a leak. I wouldnt trust it there b too many sensors and maths involved in the ECU to confuse..

·
Registered
69,316 Posts
Yeah sounds like the problem I had. As I understand it the GFB just can't hold the boost pressure and it leaks. The ECU sometimes sees the leak and throttles back. It's very noticable...

Pete

·
Registered
69,316 Posts
dont right it off so quickly.

More testing is needed as no-one really set it up correctly last time.

I know I'm graspping at straws BUT there is no real reason that it shouldnt work on chipped motors when it does on standard...

different spring - better set-up.... who knows - not us, YET.

/me puts on his flame suit (that dosn't mean you have to flame me :a )

·
Registered
555 Posts
I dont reckon it works properly on any car the mil might not come on on a non chipped mota its still effectively a leak in the air system though:(

I guess its the amount of lost air that the ECU lets you have is your limiting factor. In a chipped car with higher pressures you would loose more air therefore would go over the allowable threshold and turn on the mil?

Thats wot I reckon anyhow.. lol

·
Registered
69,316 Posts
It does seem to hold the boost in on the standard Ibiza but it didn't on the 180bhp of the Leon.

Also I had a thought about the engine running rich between gear changes, it's obviously a guestimate by the ECU as to how much air is going in. The MAF cannot measure the air comming through the DV as it circulates the air after the maf right? So it will only run slightly rich at high revs ( I'm assuming the ECU uses a lookup table for the extra air ). Now I was told that running slightly richer is something you'd want at the top end to try and hold the power level up? Is this not right?

Pete

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
James,

Surely u can tell if its chipped or not, I totally noticed the difference when my Cordy was done, it totally ripped when I floored it.
You could trying to get in contact with previous owner, before it was traded into the Scooby garage, they would tell u if it was chipped.
Oh, SIDE SHOW TURBO doesnt need a dump valve as he is going on holiday, so I should get 1st refusal if it doesnt work lol hahahah:D :)

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Yeah, I recommend contacting the previous dealer. Hes the only man that will know. Either that or get it on the rollers or better still race a standard 20VT. I know which one I would do and it aint my first two options!!!

OVV, Behave!! or else you will get a slap. lol If you get it I will be forced to tell you what Sara and I have been getting up to!!! Ha Ha

Gareth

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.