SEAT Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right I've had enough of Derv power ( or lack of ) with the Ibiza so I'm after real power again.

So far the list ( with a total budget of £13k ) is

LCR ( but I'd have to sort the handling within budget )
S3 ( again with handling in budget )
S4 ( 2.7t one but mileage puts me off )
TT225 ( not sure on handling of these, suspect the same. )
MG ZT V8 ( was going to look at one this Sat but it's now sold )

So far the S3 is kind of winning as it's 4wd but...

I was never happy with my previous R's handling, in fact I thought it was shockingly bad considering what it was supposed to be. And I vowed I wouldn't have another, but I've been hearing all sorts of things about people changing the suspension and fitting ARB's which fixes the dodgy handling...

So I'm looking for LCR owners in the Reading/Berks area that have done these mods, and are willing to meet up with me, to take me out for a spin to prove to me that their mods fix the problem. If these mods really do fix the issues I had then I might well consider the LCR

Anyone want to help?

Pete

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Megane 225 Trophy, drove one last week that was 300 bhp and it outhandles all of the above and you can pick up a 55 plate for £13k

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah but I want something that won't fall apart on me, and will go back together after I've stripped it out to fit the ICE install ;)

There's a reason I like german cars, and it's build quality...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I used to think that about Renault but they have moved on a bit since 5 Turbo's and they are not worse build quality than SEAT thats a Spanish car :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I've not been in even a modern Renault that I've liked the build quality of...

And Seat isn't really spanish anymore, it's a VW.

Anyway back on topic...

·
Registered
560 Posts
Firstly Renaults are better than they used to be, but the bits do still break, and they are still pricey to replace.
The main problem with the R-sports is the super firm handling on 'normal' roads. As you live in Berkshire, you will know that we don't have normal roads... we have bumpy pothole ridden tracks that are passed off as roads!!! Well all the decent windy stuff is anyway... only the big A & M roads are any good.

The standard LCR is indeed [email protected], especially on wet days, and can let go into a heap of under steer at any moment if your pushing it. If you have the money go with something else, unless you have a true passion for the car of course :)

Remember the S3 is only FWD for the majority of the time, it only goes 4WD when the fronts let go, and usually that will be too late!!!! It's only really good if you get a bias controller etc.

Sorry I can't help you with the benefits of the upgraded suspension, as any improvement will result in lower ride height, and with the splitter on the front that means no parking in the work car park, town car parks, and many roads will become unusable due to the stupid speed humps.

Don't get me wrong... for the age/mileage of car vs. performance.. I don't think you can do much better, but I'm never going FWD again after this car:yes4lo:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ICECavern;779343 said:
Well I've not been in even a modern Renault that I've liked the build quality of...

And Seat isn't really spanish anymore, it's a VW.

Anyway back on topic...
SEAT is a Spanish company thats owned by VAG so not really German are they, they just benefit from German engineering and expertise.

:laugh8kb:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
S1BDN;779364 said:
SEAT is a Spanish company thats owned by VAG so not really German are they, they just benefit from German engineering and expertise.
Spanish in origin that's about it. Lets face it how many parts is it possible to find that don't come from the VW parts bin... The body shell/panels...

And could we get this thread back on topic please...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Still a Spanish car built in Spain until its built in Germany .....

Not good in the wet then Mik? Wonder if the Mk2 is any better ..

·
Registered
548 Posts
I fitted a S3 strut brace to my Leon Cupra R and it made a big difference to the handeling. Only cost £50 quid or so. Out of the four quoted I think the LCR is the best choice if you want a sporty car. S3 / S4 are quite soft by comparison. I don't think I would even entertain getting a MG because that's just asking for trouble in the long run.

Can't say I can complain about my car's handeling. Better than the Focus St (old shape) I used to own.

·
Registered
329 Posts
ICECavern;779324 said:
Right I've had enough of Derv power ( or lack of ) with the Ibiza so I'm after real power again.

So far the list ( with a total budget of £13k ) is

LCR ( but I'd have to sort the handling within budget )
S3 ( again with handling in budget )
S4 ( 2.7t one but mileage puts me off )
TT225 ( not sure on handling of these, suspect the same. )
MG ZT V8 ( was going to look at one this Sat but it's now sold )

So far the S3 is kind of winning as it's 4wd but...

I was never happy with my previous R's handling, in fact I thought it was shockingly bad considering what it was supposed to be. And I vowed I wouldn't have another, but I've been hearing all sorts of things about people changing the suspension and fitting ARB's which fixes the dodgy handling...

So I'm looking for LCR owners in the Reading/Berks area that have done these mods, and are willing to meet up with me, to take me out for a spin to prove to me that their mods fix the problem. If these mods really do fix the issues I had then I might well consider the LCR

Anyone want to help?

Pete
I've got the S3 strutt brace and ARB 28mm anti roll bar in the back. This has helped alot and made the body much more stiff..... but it has shown up the other weakness, the shockers. I believe the Koni FSD's will sort this out and without changing the ride height. I would have been doing this but due to incomming baby all toys are on hold. Would deffinately recommend this set up. If you already know the LCR why change you know they are good but need just a little fine tuning to make them great!!!

Go on you know it makes sense. Whatever you buy you will not like the handling and have to change it a bit, so it would make sense to stick with what you know!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.