SEAT Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tidy little SEAT IBIZA 1.4 1996 â€" P Plate, approx 93k on the clock.

Yesterday started her up and there was a rumbling noise under the gear stick, almost like a metal ball rattling just underneath my gear change hand.

The noise was worse on a cold start, and as the engine warmed up the noise was only obvious with the car taking off from the biting point or upon sharp acceleration. I guess the noise is more obvious with engine vibration and not driving smoothly…

I tried to open up the interior cover/casing of the gear stick to have a peek but had no joy (bit awkward without the right tools/knowledge!). In the process of doing this I twisted the gear stick and after doing this the rumbling/clattering noise appears to have stopped! Not sure if I’ve done more harm than good…

Both before and after my investigation the gear change was smooth and the biting point etc etc as normal… The car still drives fine!

Going to a local garage this weekend but any comments/thoughts on the problem would be appreciated.

Cheers

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks - managed to take it to the garage today… however the problem/noise has gone altogether, meaning the mechanic was unable to identify any faults! He did suggest that it may be to do with the gear lever! Anyway i'll wait until the noise comes back...

·
Registered
20 Posts
I also had the heat shield come loose (bolt worked it's way out) on my car & it made a tinny rattling noise when setting off - kwik fit wanted o put me a new exhaust on but it took me 2 mins to sort with an odd bolt i found in the bottom of my toolbox! check your exhuast out? from what I remember there's 3 bolts holding the shield onto the exhaust

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
stinkypete;780297 said:
I also had the heat shield come loose (bolt worked it's way out) on my car & it made a tinny rattling noise when setting off - kwik fit wanted o put me a new exhaust on but it took me 2 mins to sort with an odd bolt i found in the bottom of my toolbox! check your exhuast out? from what I remember there's 3 bolts holding the shield onto the exhaust
who ever had my car before me has had the heat shield off n put the wrong bolts in so there to long.there fore thats why mine rattles lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Is your gear knob the plastic type that clips together? (the bit with the gearchange pattern clips into the part with the gaitor attached - there's an obvious seam that runs around the circumference of the widest part of the gearstick)

Anyway, we had one of these on our 95 1.4CLS and it started rattling where the 2 halves clip together a few months after we bought the car. At GTI International last year, I managed to get one that is made of solid rubber from a higher spec car and the problem has vanished.

Bit of a long shot though - could be a heatshield as others suggest...

Cheers,
George

1 - 7 of 7 Posts