SEAT Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of any garages in Edinburgh/Lothians that will fix a puncture near the edge of the tyre wall? Seem to remember kwik-fit etc will not fix.
Trying to save myself £100..

Cheers

·
Registered
6,302 Posts
There's a good reason Kwik-fit won't fix it, it's because its not safe. The strength of the tyre is in that area, and a hole in it makes it weak. Is it really worth saving £100 when you could get a blow out at 70+ on the motorway? :(

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
You can only repair if the puncture is in the inner 50% of the tyre - anything outside of this cannot be safely repaired

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
They can be fixed, and quite easily :) Only down side is finding a place that can do it.... there is not many (i had one done years ago, was fine afterwards).

They use special resins that bond/melt the rubber of the tyre together, the joined rubber is stronger that the origional!!!!

If it's nicked any of the metal threads then no-one will fix it though.

Dave

·
Registered
616 Posts
I got a screw in a week old tyre after buying 4 new ones, on the tread but near the sidewall.

Ended up i had to get another new one and am still looking for somewhere to fix the damaged one.

·
Registered
127 Posts
No right minded tyre fitter will repair a puncture if it is within 75mm of the edge of a tyre.not because it has gone through a set of steel bands, but because it may have gone through 2 (1 set in the face of the tyre and 1 set in the side wall) depending on angle of entry
Sorry bud but you'll have to bite the bullet and buy new

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Not only is a fix near or on the sidewall not safe, it is illegal.

Chances are you'll not find anyone who will carry out a repair outside of the "safe" repair area... and if you do find a back street outfit who will do it for a back hander, they'll have "no knowledge or records" of any such repair when you have a blowout & try to make a claim.

Unfortunately, you'll have to do the same as the rest of us & buy a new tyre.

Also, for reference, some garages will refuse to do ANY repairs on W, Y & Z rated tyres, as the speed rating will have been affected and cannot be guaranteed. The regulations state that on high performance (V, W, Y & Z rated tyres) only ONE repair is permitted.

Sadly, we live in health & safety madness with an ever increasing suing culture, and companies are not out to do "favours" any more - it's all about "a*se covering".

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Can anyone posting that you can't get sidewall and/or very outside edge punctures replaced point me to some info (DTI or GOV site) that states that ???

Not wanting to argue or anything, just wanting to know the facts as of now in case i ever need it done, as i said it was many (over 10) years ago i got this done so regs could have changed over time :)

Dave

·
Registered
553 Posts
From what I can see they all work to the british standard
BSAU159f which is on the BSi site, unfortunately if you want to read the whole thing it costs over £90 to buy!!

pretty much all go with the guidelines on the pic

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Repairable Area Gauge

Repairs are carried out in accordance with BS AU 159f & NDTA regulations. The last revision to the regs was in 1997 I believe.

Most tyre shops online, National Tyres, E-Tyres, Pneus, Kwik-Fit, ATS and so on all state the sidewall is not repairable.

On the National Tyres website it states that on tyres with a speed rating of V or above, only one repair is permitted.

I had a blow out after only a few months of picking up my LCR, and my mate (who owns a tyre fitting centre) refused to repair it because a) it was a Y rated tyre and the speed rating couldn't be guaranteed, b) it was too close to the sidewall and c) because I'd driven a short distance with the tyre flat, the sidewall structure had been crushed.

As far as links to laws & regulations go, I had a look abd on most sites you have to pay for the information :(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts