SEAT Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right people what mods have u done and what effect have they had?

IE chipped did it work nortice anymore kick to the acceleration?

17's look good but don't u get ur **** kicked at the lights by nissan micras?

Sports exhaust do u notice any difference good or bad?

Air filter induction or foam panel any good?

I had a honda accord and i put 17's on it looked the part but totally buggered the gearing but more importantly the acceleration, i then had a powerflow put on fantastic sound looked wicked but the power never started until about 4500rpm which was pointless for me so this time round i wanna do the ibiza just right!

Any comments are valued

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
I think quite a few peeps have put 17's on and most say they don't alter your performance too much. I've got a twin headlight conversion and I think it looks sooooo much better than those standard square jobbies. :D

G

·
my 16valver runs well on 16's(came with 14's as standard)but can notice that little bit of loss though not tha much,induction kit plus samco inlet plus de cat got mine from 130bhp to 145bhp(dyno'd)tho on the later 16v the de cat is welde on which buggeres ya up come mot time,most of the above will loose you bottom end torque but it will rev it tats off,basically all the power moves up the rev range slightly,an old member of the drivers club had all the above plus super chip and had 180 bhp set on rollers,dunno the torque figures or where in the range this power was.AMD are top dogs for N/A tuning
;)
btw my 16v is a 1.8 not 2ltr

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool thats wicked anymore people?

As for the 17's the reason i asked is every kilo of wieght u put on ur wheels will actually count for an extra 14kilos of normal sprung weight on your car. (i dont know how but it is)

plus due to the increase in rotational mass the car will suffer acceleration wise but not to much for u to notice its only when a car running standard races u

Ive searched loads of sites for info and have found a set of alloys that weigh 25% less than standard which should basically mean it will be taking into consideration friction 20% more quicker.

The problem being they will cost £725 which is alot of money for a full set of tyres and 15's.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But jason u had a point about the power moving slightly up the rev range! as the 16v engines are really nice and like high revs but the 8v that i have dosent so if i did that and moved the powerband up i think id have less of a gain. any more people have any mods done?

·
Registered
173 Posts
wee man,

ive got an 8 valver, running 17's they should be the same circumferance overall as the 15's it cam with in theory because of the decrease in trye height to the increase in wheel height. However there is a slight difference in performance i think- but it looks so much better!!!!

I havnt chipped it yet or put in a cam, due to not finding the right ones!, hover with it being chipped and cammed it will pull like a 16 valve all the way through the rev range.

also running a full ss cat back exhaust, performane boost- yeh right!:p , and also a induction kit- just makes it sound throatier and quicker however i dont expect that it is

I havnt had it on a set of rollers as yet, so would like to to see what she is running b4 i put on a chip!

Paul

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah cool mate so thats 1 person that runs an 8v, so standard 15 is running 185/55/R15 so ur running a 17 so i guess 205/40/R17 ill work it out down to the rpm of the wheel per mile and see the difference but ur right it does look a hell of alot better on 17's, as for chipping in stuff id say NOS thatll give 50bhp min hook upto a decent controller with uploadable power graph and i think the 8v could handle 100bhp bring her upto 215bhp at the flick of a switch and a press of a button and a stamp of a foot purrrrrrrrr

G

·
and then ya get a bonet bulge ya dont want,nos is very good for a quick spurt but not realiable,on a n/a engine your better off going the expensive route of cams etc
on the rims front goto speedline in telford they do rally wheels in magnesium at what ever size ,at a cost ...but the torino is available in 17 inch in flowformed ally at a lighter weight than any aftermarket wheel barr super leggarars only available in white or silver,but jason knows a very good powder coatsing firm:D

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have to add that i'm running 16's again at the mo while i'm refurbishing the wheels, and the car does feel a lot more sprightly in the handling and acceleration stakes.

As for mods, if its the 16v if you get any real power out (cams,head chip etc) you do loose a bit of driveability - low down torque is lost and warpfactor 10 doesn't kick in 'till over 4k of revs.
Excellent for b road blasting - but a pain in town.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Wee Man - I am running a 2ltr 8v as well
you can see the car in the news section of the main site

The car is running 18's, yes the rolling radius is slightly bigger than the standard 15's with the 185/55's but no one makes a tyre smaller than 215/35/18

I reckon it all depends on what you want from your car, everyone has different tastes, there is virtually no where here you can get away with belting up and down roads which has kinda made me more of a cosmetically inclinded person rather than going for power, my engine is just the standard lump, standard filter with standard exhaust and so on, I have not noticed a great drop in performance with having 18's but grip has improved no end

Dave

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great point mate! theres no point in having a 145mph car when u get copped doing 74mph

im just soley after acceleration id even go as far as saying i dont care about going any faster than 100mph.

Rite done the math

185/55/R15 rpm per mile is 900
205/40/R17 rpm per mile is 884

The 17s rotate less due to the bigger hoops but have more rotational mass, the up shot is that the wheel bearings and tyres will actually last longer if traveling same distances and not thrown round corners due to wider tyre applying more torsional force which could pop bearings easier

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
and 215/35/R18 have a rpm per mile of 865 a difference of 35 less rotations every mile

Great looking car though mate how'd ya get the 18's to fit did u have to remove the inners and roll the archs?

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Jason-p ive found some alloys that way 6kilos each and are only £100 ive found the best mag wheels are built in eastern europe but cost £450 each not including post or tyres, but i think the carbon-fibre £850 each take the biscuit

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cupra dave u must be pleased mate theres not many cars on the road that could go from 15 to 18's just goes to show thes wee seats are real rally cars!!! and are made to be easily set up for different conditions ie road 17-18s rally 14-16s is there much of a difference between the mk2 and mk3 as i dont see much of a difference looks like the mk3 bodypanels would fit straight on and could make the mk2 look practically the same?

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
it is basically just the front and rear that look different
if you look at the side profile of both they are very similar in shape

Pleased is a bit of an understatment, I was originally going for 17s but my mate who works at Transcal in Livingston took me through the back of the shop and showed me a set of 8x18's and I had to have 'em
It took 4 of us to fit the tyres to the first set of 18's

by the way the car is in the gallery on the main site as it used to look and you have seen it in the news section as it is now

The wheels that are on it now are 7.5x18 and the tyres fit alot better than on the 8's but the 8's looked bigger

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yeah its weird when i had my accord i first put on 7.5-17 and they looked huge compared to the 7-17 i ended with

Hey ur a regular and a propa club member what do you think the interest would be for carbon fibre bonnets and direct replacement side-skirts and bolt on real rear diffuser and front wing panels and front door cards and inside rear quarter panels and bolt on front spoiler all done in carbon-fibre?

G

·
Wee man, Schrick cam, with matching AmD chip to suit, together with a Remus exhaust and Pipercross induction kit (or panel filter, not much difference in power - the induction kit is more for sound) are tried and tested mods for the 8V.
You'll see about 140bhp, with plenty of torque low down compared to the 16V.
The cam transforms the engine into one that actually revs, although its still not as peaky as a 16V. A chip on its own will make some improvement but nothing dramatic.

As for wheels I'd stick to no more than 16 inch if your main aim is acceleration rather than looks.

Maybe cheaper/easier swapping your car for a 16V if you want a big difference in top end power.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wow thanks petrolhead, all im after is acceleration i dont car about top end, and thats why i was worried that chips and things wouldnt work for me but alas that is not the case 140bhp sounds good for the 8v

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Originally posted by Wee man
yeah its weird when i had my accord i first put on 7.5-17 and they looked huge compared to the 7-17 i ended with

Hey ur a regular and a propa club member what do you think the interest would be for carbon fibre bonnets and direct replacement side-skirts and bolt on real rear diffuser and front wing panels and front door cards and inside rear quarter panels and bolt on front spoiler all done in carbon-fibre?
dunno really mate, I like the idea of the door cards and the inside rear quarter panels
are you making these or do you have a contact for them?
real or fake carbon?

why not start a thread about it and see what other interest there is?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.