SEAT Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Has anyone ever had an experience of the seal on the gearbox where the selector shaft enters it wearing out? My gearbox has started to leak a small amount of oil and Seat said that seal has gone, and want £130 to fit a new one. For a seal that costs about £2.

Has anyone had this done cheaper or indeed done it themselves, if so is it any easy job?

Cheers in advance,

Terry

·
Registered
99 Posts
Terry,

I know you posted this ages and ages ago and have probably sorted this by now but I thought I'd reply at this late stage in case anyone else has this problem.

I didn't notice the very few drops of oil leaking until I had a new drive and only then did I see about 3 drops of oil after my arosa had been parked all weekend. My first sign of trouble was a noise from the engine, like a low sounding squeal/grinding noise at various different times (usually on accelleration). When my OH looked underneath he found a drip of oil around the gearbox selector shaft and I took it to the garage for them to look at. He told me what to tell the garage i.e. gearbox selector seal and they confirmed that was the case but they didn't understand why I had the noise! Anyway, once seal had been changed and gearbox oil had been topped up the noise has disappeared.

I paid £70.50 (inc. VAT) from my local garage about 2 weeks ago for this job which I didn't think was too bad. My OH wouldn't attempt it himself as he won't touch the car without having a manual.

I hope this is useful for other forum members and would suggest that everyone checks underneath their car on a regular basis for any sign of an oil drip - I don't consider 3 drops in 1 weekend to be serious but I personally think it could have been and would have needed a new/reconditioned gearbox had it been left any longer.

Rosa

·
Registered
4 Posts
Dang it, i have an 1.0s Arosa and my dad saw a couple drips of oil in our driveway, i thought it was nothing and i blamed it on the taxi he drive's. After handing it in2 a private garage not a Seat garage, they told me it was my gearbox fluid and it was near enough bone dry, After having it topped up just 2 get me about for the time being, They told me i would need a new gearbox, supplied and fitted is going 2 empty my bank accout of £590 :cry:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts