SEAT Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A sad day today, hit something on a country road which put a massive gash in tyre (just bought it aswell ) and had to do a wheel change. In changing the wheel my jack (the standerd on you get in the boot) slipped, smacked in to my side skirt now with massive dent. Luckiy, it is only the side skirt and not the door and luckily this was on grass as the brake had hit the ground, seams fine.

**I put this in the Diesel section but this its better in Mk4 section**

So now apart from needing a new tyre, I need a new side skirt for my Mk4 Ibiza, I'm guess they are all the same what ever the engine. Its 3 door 1.9 TDi 130 Sport version of the ibiza, anyone know how much so I know how much of a dent I will get in my balence this month. I want some new ones aswell, some better ones, but I need a quick replacement, can't have my Couch (seat..yeah **** joke) looking like this.

Thank yoooouuu

Chris

P.S Was a bloody nice day aswell, AND I was taking some girl out who I like!! How bad is that, take some girl out, try to impress her, BEFOR we even get to the coast, this happens, hands dirty, replacing wheel, I have never even replaced a wheel befor, I dont think it couldn't of gone any worse. But, things looked up after that. So it didnt put her off too much, maybe she likes a man doing some handy work lol.

·
Registered
6,302 Posts
I assume you are refering to the sill, as the Mk4's don't have side skirts. Probably best to post a pic so we can see the damage, but as the sill is a structural part of the car (rather than the cheap plastic side skirts you can get to stick on, which are just for looks), if the damage is too bad you could be looking at a big bill :( If its minor, a bit of filler and spray over and it'll be as good as new.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I had exactly the same thing last year on my Ibiza - I just left mine, I didn't feel it was bad enough to warrant the cost of repairing it -

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mine is big enough for me to warrent...are you being serious...I mean i thought it could just be detached and replaced, it seams like something common to be hit? How much would a fill and sprey be, my friend did suggest this. Also, what kind of place would do this :(

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
The Ibiza doesn't have skirts - that's the door sill which is a main structural component of the chassis. If it's structurally damaged it'll need cutting out and a new piece welded in place which won't be a seamless repair.

If it's purely cosmetic damage then you can have it filled and resprayed

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, it msut be sill then, I wasnt really sure, but in the pic that you posted it was just under the car up to the door, I will get a pic tonight, I am sure it hasn't effected the strucutre, just dented to...well fibre glass or whatever they are made out of. I am guessing filled and re-sprayed is ok then, know what kind of place does that, I really have no clue when it comes to body stuff like that.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
That pic I posted was the sill - it's made from solid steel and runs from just under the door all the way under - that's why you can jack the car from there - it's structural.

The sills stop the car flexing and bending - especially if you're unlucky enough to be in an accident

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hmmm...really? it really smashed thoug that metal then! Ok, so what are my options?....I feel this is gonig to hurt my bank :(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts