SEAT Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently encountered an overheat problem on my 02 plate Toledo V5, Whilst stationary with the aircon on i noticed the temp gauge go sky high and the red light come on. As a result i had the aircon checked and was informed all appeared to be ok with the system apart from it being over full with gas. However the low speed fan appeared to be broken and needed replacing.

Can anyone tell me the answers to the following ? ? please.

1. when stationary with the aircon on if the low speed fan wasnt working, would this be the cause of the overheat problem?

2. I have been quoted £230 pounds to have a replacement fan supplied and fitted? is this resonable.

3. Has anyone had any experiance changing the fan and if so hows is it done and is it a hard job today.

4. Is there anyway the large fan can be set up to do the work of the low speed fan ?

many thanks in anticipation of any help that may be forthcoming

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I've heard of this problem before. Whenever the aircon's on the fans should run at low speed - so it's perfectly possible that the low speed not working could cause overheat.

There isn't a low speed fan and a high speed fan, both fans run together but can operate at two speeds. The problem occurs when the controller packs up meaning only the high speed system will operate. If left unattended, the high speed system will burn out too.

The price you've been quoted seems consistent with what other people have been quoted.

Some useful links -

From the Leon section of this site a couple of weeks back (always worth doing a quick search in the Leon section as the cars are basically identical) -

http://www.seatforum.net/forum/showthread.php?t=67628&highlight=low+speed+fan

A DIY fix if you're interested -

http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/thread/449470.aspx

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sounds to me that you've got two faults. One is that the resistor that is built into each of the two fans has burned out (this happened to me). However if the engine gets too hot then the fans should switch in at high speed (you'll know this because it sounds like a 747 taking off....) every half minute or so. If this isn't the case then you'd best check the fuses (on top of the battery if memory serves) because it's likely that the main fan fuse has blown (or the connection is naff). Also check (with the engine off!) that both fans are free to turn. The reason why my fan resistors burned out was because Pedro had left a polishing cloth nicely placed so that it eventually got sucked into one of the fans and stalled it. This causes both fan resistors to fail. I eventually did a DIY fix with a 200Watt resistor bought from RS components and its still working fine.

Glen

1 - 5 of 5 Posts