SEAT Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick moan about the condition of the roads in glasgow and also does anyone have an idea how much my repair is going to cost? Yes i hit a big dip in the road and the sump got the brunt of the road damage!! Big hold in it. Very annoying for the easter weekend and a claim to the council i think for the damage.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
You are looking at around £150-200 dealer prices, perhaps a bit less for an indy garage.

W Livingstone's did mine a few years back, hit something on raod and cracked the sump - think it was about £150 to get done.

Dave

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The tow truck guy reckons some quick steel will actually fix it, he lifted it up and it is quite a small hole. definetely not worth replacing the whole sump for i reckon.....good news!!!

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Good if it'll work :)

It's worth trying and just keep an eye on the oil levels to make sure you are not loosing any, also change the oil filter just in case there are any small bits of the sump that got into the oil and are now in the filter (remove the chance of them getting anywhere else!!!).

When i did mine it was trashed.... 6" crack & a 2*1 hole in the front edge :eek:o7dt:

Dave

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well my sump made it to dumfries and back today but still seeping a wee bit of oil, getting a price for a full replacement asap. Expensive stuff to replace buti thought about doing it myself.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Easy job to do at home as long as you don't mind getting a bit mucky.
Few allen keys here, couple of bolts there, lots of cleaning old sealent off,put new sealent on (not too much mind otherwise you could block the oil pick up) bang it all together and off you go.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I thought it was as easy as that, and the sump is £70 from vw. Seat were £90 figures!!!

Only thing is i want to reuse the oil since its only been in since sunday, dont fancy another £60. My pal is a mobile mechanic, think he is going to do it for me and just drain the oil then put back in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts