SEAT Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any idea's peeps, woke p to find my steering was incredibly stiff when still and at low speed, but fine at 20+mph. The steering warning light has illuminated on the dash. Could it just be the fuse has blown? Any other ideas??

It's in tomorrow for a service and MOT, so I'm not particularly worried, it's just very very annoying!

Roger

·
Registered
745 Posts
Power steering failure of some sort.. Worth checking the fuses i suppose but could be a fluid level issue or pump failure. I presume it is still not 100% at higher speeds rather than suddenly working fine as you pass 20mph?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's right - it's not 100% at higher speeds, but I didn't get above 40 on my way to work. I'll give the dealer a call later to tell them there is more work to do tomorrow, as my warranty expires on the 31st March.

I'll call the AA out later as I have Seat Assistance until 2008, hopefully they'll find something silly thats causing it, I really don't want another mechanical failure on my hands!

Roger

·
Registered
92 Posts
The steering light may lid if your battery isnt that new...

i face the same problem in cold days where i have to turn the engine off and back on again.

So i wouldnt really worry about it if it turns off by starting the engine again

Firstly i though you have a prob with the steering settings as there are 3-4 settings for the steering in our ibizas...sport...cupra ...etc...as the steering becomes stiffer and stiffer but since the light came on its not such an issue

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I have driven home without a single problem, light went out as normal and steering was it's usual self. The stealers are going to have a look tomorrow during the service, so hopefully it's just something silly like a sensor or a bad earth.

Roger

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Light has gone out, no problems since, and the dealership can't find any problems at all. Should I be worried about the pump Slim? Or just hope and pray it was having an off day? Any ideas how much it costs to have the pump replaced?

·
Registered
951 Posts
Just hope it was having an off day.
When its quite cold they have an increased tendancy to do it.I'd only worry about it when it completely fails to be honest.
Pump, as far as I know, costs around the £400 mark because its an electronic control unit based jobbie.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It was a pretty cold night on Tuesday night, we've had a few of them recently. My warranty expires on the 31st March, so methinks I'll be on the phone to SEAT tomorrow to try and get it replaced now lol. I can try at least.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts