SEAT Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a lot of stone chips on the bonnet of my Arosa. Some have even made their way onto the front wings.
Being a metallic black car you don't notice until your up close but I know it's there....

I'm wondering if it would be best to have the bonnet and wings resprayed or whether a paint touch up company would/could repair the existing chips at a lesser cost.

Anyone had this done recently?

Cheers

Steve

·
Registered
6,302 Posts
Chips Away have been around for years now, as have several other very similar companies. The trouble with them is that each one is different, some Chips Away units will be great, some less so, luck of the draw unfortunately :( It would certainly be cheaper than going to a bodyshop for a respray of the panels though ;)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi Guys,

I had about 4 stone chips on my leon and decided I would have a go at them myself. armed with a touch up pen, wet and dry and some scratch remover paste.

Here is a quick guide.......

Get the touch up paint from your dealer. You will get a tube of paint and a tube of clear coat (lacquer). Its less then £10. Cut some matchsticks to a sharp point. carefully use the match stick to apply the paint to the hole, making sure that you don't over build above the level of the surrounding paintwork. You want it to be completly red so that there is no sigh of the base coat or metal. (Otherwise it will show up through the clear coat) Let it dry.

Use the same method to fill in the hole with the clear coat. this time make sure you fill in above the level of the surrounding area. Let it dry.

Now get some of the finest grade wet & dry sand paper, and wrap it around something spongy but still firm. Dip it it the water and carefully and slowly sand back the clear coat that you have applied to the same level as the surrounding area. You will end up with a dull match.

Now get some Mer scratch remover paste or similar (I used T-Cut paste £6 from Asda). Use a cloth and work in the paste the the dull area, keep doing this until the area is restored, and buff.

You can get the "Mer Professional Scratch Repair Kit" which has all the bits you need except for the paint. Also has a backing plate and foam mop head which you can use with a power-drill.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have used Chipsaway before...they were awful. Never got it right after three goes......but luckily I only paid once....but they couldn't repair something they said they could/would. Still....they might be better this time.
Will have to get a free quotation. Might even get a discount.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts