SEAT Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not posted on here for a while.. a testament to the reliability of my Leon after the
first initial bugs were ironed out (duff MAF sensor..). My luck has however just run
out.. Yesterday the front passenger window refused to rise, the motor was still
trying but there was a nasty noise and the window wouldn't budge.

Easy I thought, take off the door lining and take look. Taking off the first lining
reveals the speaker and the window motor, but crucially you still can't get at the
winding mechanism. I removed the motor from the door and verified that it still
worked fine ; the problem was with the metal cord that was tangled in the
winding cog/mechanism that the motor connects to.

The problem then was diagnosed, however this cog/mechanism, (and the glass
and door lock) is behind another cover which I can't remove(Yes, I did remove all
the hexagonal bolts, and I can free the cover an inch or so..). This seems to be
because the cover is connected to other bits and pieces that I can't see how to
separate : for example the window glass moves when I wiggle the cover : the
cover is connected to metal that guides the window pane upwards..these metal
bits are larger than the area the cover covers so I can't pull the cover off !

So can anyone help me dissassemble the door !? Does the glass and winding
mechanism come out with this second cover as one piece ? And perhaps the lock
too ? Can't believe how difficult this is unless I'm missing something obvious..
Should I just book with a Seat garage !?

Any help a bonus,

thanks, Martin

·
Registered
134 Posts
You need to remove the lock assembly with the metal casette.

First you need to remove the outer lock barrel (or cover depending on which side of the car) There is a gromet in the door skin level with the hahdle, remove that and with a T25 torx screwdriver loosen the clamp holding the lock in place. Be careful not to go too far though as the lock assembly falls to pieces.

Once the lock is removed release a little black clip with a wire on it from the handle. This is the bowden cable that operates the latch.

Then remove the latch assmebly 3 x M8 multispline bolts.

Release the glass from the mechanism, 2 x T30 Torx bolts on clamps behind large gromets. Be careful of these plastic clips are brittle.

With these disconnected remove the M8 Hex bolts around the casette and lift out the whole of the casette/window mechanism/latch assembly together.

Cheers

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I followed the instructions on the above Golf link and started to take my door apart.. unfortunately after having removed the first panel on the door I couldn't find a way to get the window out of the door, it was stuck down meaning that the regulator bolts were not visible through the windows. So I couldn't disassemble the door panel..

Cue trip to Seat dealer, window is now fixed and my wallet is about £150 lighter !
Saved some labour time though as I'd nearly taken all the door apart !
They must have a special tool/method of getting the window back up and out of the door..

Thanks again for the links and tips.

Martin

·
Registered
134 Posts
Aaah I see.

For future referance, if that happens, then un-loop the cable from it's top and bottom pullies, this will alow the clamps to slide up and down their runners. Then you can move the glass by hand to line up with the access holes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts