1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taurus T123 Reversing Sensor Review
Author:barrybloke

Overview

Modern design trends in cars often make it very difficult to reverse up to another car, or other obstruction with any degree of confidence or accuracy. I therefore decided to fit an aftermarket reversing sensor to my Toledo. I selected the Taurus T123, as this did not necessitate drilling of the rear bumper.

Tools

'Torx' screwdriver, 10mm socket, multi-meter, crimping tool, 2x sub-miniature terminals, 2x standard terminals, length of heavy, multi-strand electrical wire, (I used 42 strand, to ensure no RF losses between antenna and control unit)

Time taken

About 1hr 30mins for the installation, plus calibration time, probably 30-45 minutes. Two of us, my son and I adopted a fairly leisurely approach.

The task

Remove rear bumper cover. This requires the removal of about twelve torx headed screws at the leading edge of the underside, plus a further four at each side where it turns in to the trailing edge of the wheel arch. Two 10mm-headed set-screws are then found inside the boot, after removal of the rear quarter trims. Removal of these allows the bumper to slide back and away. This is a two person job! Lay the bumper down and install the self-adhesive metal strip as per instructions. This has a push fit terminal for connection to the control unit. The manufacturer says that the unit can be installed inside the bumper or in the boot. Inside the bumper would render it impossible to make adjustments, so it must go in the boot, with an extension wire as I have mentioned above. The weight of this wire is likely to pull the self-adhesive antenna away, so the wire must be supported to prevent this. We used adhesive pads which take cable-ties. There is a large grommet inside the boot, below the boot-lid catch. This affords a convenient entry point to bring this cable inside the boot, when the bumper is replaced. The wire is then connected to the heavy wire from the control unit. The other two wires from the control unit are then connected to an extension of the reversing light circuit which can be found at the near-side rear-light cluster. This is where you will need the sub-miniature terminals. The feed wire for the reversing light is coloured black/blue. The other wire is connected to an earth return coloured brown. Use of your multi-meter will soon show you where to make your connections.

Verdict

After some adjustment, I find this to be a useful accessory. It does not detect plastic wheelie-bins well, either the domestic or the larger industrial type. It also allows the oversailing of standard height kerbs, but appears to detect shrubs, as well as more substantial obstructions such as walls, fences and the like. I am glad I took the trouble to buy and fit it.

Thanks to

My son Lee, for his electronics knowledge and his general engineering skills. (My investment in my kids is paying off!)

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.