SEAT Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping with this thread to gather some info and general knowledge from the people of UK, not just from the typical books.

The wife and I are landing on Stansted the 1st of July and departures 14 days later.
We both have been to your islands in the past, but never together and never by a fekking rental car.
We're 31 yrs old and no kids, so we don't wanna see the typical places you visit with kids, and don't wanna see the heavy cultural stuff I would guess the "grown ups" would like to see.

We've been to the south, like Torquay and Bournemouth. London is kinda "covered", and myself have seen the Roman Baths in Bath (Somerset?) and Stonehenge in Wiltshire.

We don't know how far up north it's realistic to get in such a relative short time. We're gonna find a certain pub in Leeds, that's about what I know.
I for sure would've liked to drop by Scotland and be understanding nothing of what they say.

That's about it, so keep the sights, object of interests and landmarks coming! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Please post in THIS thread!

Can an adm please delete the other one of these threads. Somehow the one multiplied itself...

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
If you want to come up north a bit then Leeds is the place for shopping and the nightlife. We have the Royal Armories, Tetleys Brewery Warfe, Temple Newsham, Harewood House, Roudhay park and the tropical gardens. Loads to see and do.

Newcastle is great too, again for its nightlife and shopping.

Id try and get over to York if you can. There is so much history there and the city itself is stunning.

The lake district is a must see and the roads around there are amazing (even enjoyable in a rented corsa 1.0!).

·
Registered
127 Posts
Even I would agree most of Scotland is worth a look and the people are something special (?) but I would like to think you could look in on the Lake District on your way past
Beatrix Potter, Kendal Mint Cake and some very nice little villages to see and only 20 minutes from the M6 as you head north to the border.
Leeds in 3 1/2 hours from Stanstead, 2 days in Leeds (good shopping), 2 days in the Lakes and 9 days in Scotland (well you will need a full day to drive back to the airport)
Trip sorted !!

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Yorkshire in general is a must be as said above Leeds is now the happening place to be loads of nightlife to caterer for all ages.

some parts of Manchester are also worth a visit but drive passed the old trafford ground not much of importance there lol.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks so far.
For some strange reason a lot of Scottish people saw this thread today...? Ok, Scotland it is.
A bit curious, do people living in England have to have a passport if they wanna visit Scotland?

Anyway, when you say Lake District, you mean the National Park, right?
Beatrix Potter? The Peter Rabbit lady?

Mint Cake, I don't get that one. Not heard of it over here. But it's the Kendal in Cumbria, right? It looks like Cumbria in general have a lot of nice landscape.

A mate mentioned the stairwell at Royal Armories...(?)

Temple Newsham, is that one typical English castle, and is there any other great castles worth visiting. Harewood House, I guess.

Newcastle, is that Newcastle upon Tyne? I don't know if you've several places sharing the same name. We have.

York has the National Railway Museum, I love trains! Don't know why.

West coast of Scotland, why the west coast in particular?
Could someone please be as thorough as Karl, with Scotland? Or is Scotland just SO great?

Brissle, is that Bristol? If so, that's South West. Must be early in the trip, then.

And nibbs, ever heard about commas, punctuation mark , used esp. to separate sentence parts? :)
Manchester, Capital of the North, must be after Leeds and before York.
Old Trafford, football stadium, couldn't care less about football, I'm afraid.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How far up north do I've to travel, before the language just are not understandable anymore?

The English we got over here, tends to be American, and they're quite easy to understand, compared to some of you. Take John Hannah, for instance. Help!

·
Registered
949 Posts
Scotland is tremendous. Theres some great museums in Glasgow and Edinburgh with the national museum of scotland in edinburgh as well many others. Too many to list try visitscotland.com. After its all the land where steam power, telephone, penecillon, television and great ships came from.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Temple Newsham and Harewood house are stately homes rather than castles. If you want to see plenty of castles then Wales is where you need to be.

By Newcastle, i did mean Newcastle upon Tyne, your right, there are two Newcastles in England!

Ive not been to the Railway museum in years but it is a good day out (if you like trains!). There is plenty to occupy you in York. Id definately recommend it.

You dont need your Passport to get into Scotland, there is no real border as such, just a sign saying "Welcome to Scotland" then your in! The scenery is amazing up there. Id recommend going to Fort William.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Yes I did mean Beatrix potter as in Peter Rabitt, Kendal Mint Cake is a local treat, made almost entirely from sugar, which is so sweet it makes your teeth cringe and your dentist rub his hands at the size of your next bill
It is used by climbers and walkers as an instant energy source, and is really good

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.