SEAT Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now then guys and gals,

Not sure if anyof you have noticed this at all, but I have been finding some minor short lived problems with my car that are quite annoying.

I think the problems are due to the build up of heat from the warm weather and sitting in nose to tail traffic on my jounrey to and from work.

when I set off to work in the morning, after a few mintues when the engine has warmed up my car is eager to pull and really quite snappy. This is how it is during the day too if I go out on a weekend etc.
but..

when I set off to come home from work after about 2 minutes I am stuck in traffic as I pass through the centre of hull from the east side to the west as I live in a village outside hull. I have noticed that while crawling along in the traffic, if an opening develops or I need to pull off from the lights/roundabout that the car seems overly sluggish and less willing to boost and pull. Once I get out of the traffic onto the open road and onto the country roads it seems to improve and the car goes back to 'normal' with it pulling as usual...

I am assuming this is due to the engine not being able to get any decent cold air to compress in the turbo when it is stuck behind another car belching out hot fumes.. ?? or is it due to something else? ECU controlling boost in line with driving conditions/style.. ??

I am running with a DV007 and K&N Filter. Both seem to improve performance when running in non-traffic situations.. but have noticed over the past few weeks while it has been pretty hot and sunny that the above problem is occuring..

any thoughts? Anyone else noticed it?

G

·
The ECU doesn't actually "Adapt" to how you drive, all it does is learn the imperfections of your engine and set parameters specific for your car.

More for emissions perposes than anything else.

I think you car is suffering from hot air mate personally.

G

·
Originally posted by Steve
The ECU doesn't actually "Adapt" to how you drive, all it does is learn the imperfections of your engine and set parameters specific for your car.

More for emissions perposes than anything else.

I think you car is suffering from hot air mate personally.
Sod that, i think it some thing to do with Hull, ive heard its kinda a bermuda triangle for Seat's:D

·
Registered
69,316 Posts
See i told u!

Scoobster it looks like ur gonna have to drive around Hull to and from work!

Sorry Dude, but if its gonna save the car, it has to be done!

I remeber this guy once his name was Bob! He had a wicked Ibiza 20VT and he told me he was going to Hull to pick up his g/f and HE NEVER CAME BACK! I tried his Mobile but the line was dead! 2years later all they wound was a rusty old Dump Valve with "HELP" Scratched in it!

Poor tyke! He never stood a chance *tears in my eyes*

So BEWARE, U'VE BEEN WARNED!

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Heres a thought.
Maybe not so much hot air, as hot air temp reading being sent to ECU.

The inlet air temp sensor is mounted just after the throttle body in the inlet manifold. Sit in traffic in stop/start traffic conditions an inevitably the fan cuts in and out etc... blows hot radiator air onto anything behind it including the inlet manifold.

No thru draft to cool things in the engine bay, no real airflow to carry away heat either, so whatever airs in the inlet system is both slow moving and sibjected to over like temps. Put your foot down to accelerate into a gap thats appeared in the traffic and.................. and..................... DOH! Where did the power go? The first few gulps the engine got was of hot air that got hot in the inlet tract itself.

The inlet manifold itself will conduct heat from the head, especially when in traffic with no airflow through the engine bay or engine itself. Try it for yourself. Drive on a run, stop, then open the bonnet and feel the inlet manifolds temp.... warm but not hot if like mine. Close the bonnet and leave it idling and open it 10 mins later and its HOT ! The air temp sensor is sat in the hot manifold sampling more manifold temp than air temp at that point. Could well be a reason for sluggish response IF the ecu is making things dull. (or could be the hot air is the first gulps it gets when going for that gap in traffic)

On my 16v Jetta, I run a phenolic heat insulator between the throttle bodies and cylinder head and that made a huge difference in running temps to the t'bodies. Some 30'C less as I remember my measurements. (down from 95'C to 75'C)

regards
Bill

·
Registered
21 Posts
Originally posted by badger5
Heres a thought.
Maybe not so much hot air, as hot air temp reading being sent to ECU.

The inlet air temp sensor is mounted just after the throttle body in the inlet manifold. Sit in traffic in stop/start traffic conditions an inevitably the fan cuts in and out etc... blows hot radiator air onto anything behind it including the inlet manifold.

The air temp sensor is sat in the hot manifold sampling more manifold temp than air temp at that point. Could well be a reason for sluggish response IF the ecu is making things dull. (or could be the hot air is the first gulps it gets when going for that gap in traffic)

regards
Bill
I know of a Corrado VR6 that has a relocated air temp sensor for the same reason. They also get very hot while sitting in traffic. I remember the owner saying that it had made a positive difference to warm engine response.

G

·
I like the Bermuda Triangle theory, but its probably just down to dirty warm air.

Mine does the same!

On my old astra Gsi I had a performance 421 manifold, When it got hot in traffic it was like driving a tractor, it was sooooooooo sluggish.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I kind of agree with the Bermuda Triangle theory, but trust me it isn't just for SEAT's... !!

A huge percentage of the people living in Hull have never been anywhere else and are so insular and trapped in the place.. It is really quite sad.

I fortunately aren't one of those as I live 7 miles outside hull on the west side (in a small village), and I have a direct link to the real world. If it was possible for the nugget nova boys to nick power from my car though they probably would.. lol

I seem to think that it is something to do with hot air filling the engine bay and nothing but hot air being available outside of the engine bay meaning that as I put my foot down it gets nowt but hot air until some fresh stuff can be sucked in from outside and cooled by the intercooler and motion (windchill effect).

It has become really noticable over the past few weeks (probably due to it being pretty warm) and wondered if it is exagerated due to having a K&N filter in there that is sucking larger amounts of air in, so gets big 'gulp's of hot air. Cos once I am in the open and the air is cooler the car pulls well and better with the K&N than stock.

Thanks for the responses people... and I'll take care and make sure I keep getting out of the triangle.. lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.