SEAT Automobiles Forum banner

Turbo Timers??

5K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  ric 
#1 ·
Another question - can someone explain exactly what a turbo timer does and is it worth getting an alarm with a turbo timer?? Any help appreciated :confused:

#3 ·
I know I do not have a turbo but what a turbo timer does is leave the engine running after you have been driving when you take your keys out,
leaving the engine running after the car has been driven hard allows the turbo to cool
I do not know about all timers but most (I think) can be adjusted to leave the engine running for different lengths of time depending on how hard you have driven the car

As with any metal the turbo housing expands with heat.
If the car had been driven real hard and the engine switched straight off then the turbo can cool too quickly, contract too fast and crack

I am sure there is someone here how would be able to go into more details but thats the basics

hope this helps a wee bitty

#8 ·
Originally posted by Cupra Dave
I know I do not have a turbo but what a turbo timer does is leave the engine running after you have been driving when you take your keys out,
leaving the engine running after the car has been driven hard allows the turbo to cool
I do not know about all timers but most (I think) can be adjusted to leave the engine running for different lengths of time depending on how hard you have driven the car

As with any metal the turbo housing expands with heat.
If the car had been driven real hard and the engine switched straight off then the turbo can cool too quickly, contract too fast and crack

I am sure there is someone here how would be able to go into more details but thats the basics

hope this helps a wee bitty
Erm... Well sort of Dave.:rolleyes:

The turbo timers keep the motor running for a while after the keys are removed from the ignition etc.... Not so straight forward considering the immobiliser is in the key, which was removed form the ignition when it was switched off.

Keeping the engine running a short while after stopping (especially after some heavy driving) will allow the oil and water systems to take heat away from the hot bits (read-Turbo), so as not to leave a red hot glowing turbo with no oil supply for its bearing.

Thankfully, VAG deemed it neccessary to fit an auxiliary water pump which continues to recirculate water around the engine (and turbo) to act like a turbo timer of sorts.... Cool things properly.

Bill

G
#12 ·
Bills totally right,

You can get turbo timer's on clifford alarms but i haven't bothered.

If you've given your car nuts before stopping give it a bit off a rest or you might find that your turbo is still spinning at 40,000 rpm with no oil feed! Causing premeture(?) aging of the turbo.

The buzzing is a secondary water pump that runs for exactly 10mins after you turn off the ignition.

Not many people know that engines actually get hotter after you turn them of for a period, no cooling, thats why your cooling fan sometimes runs when you turn off your engine.

#13 ·
Originally posted by Steve
Bills totally right,

You can get turbo timer's on clifford alarms but i haven't bothered.

If you've given your car nuts before stopping give it a bit off a rest or you might find that your turbo is still spinning at 40,000 rpm with no oil feed! Causing premeture(?) aging of the turbo.

The buzzing is a secondary water pump that runs for exactly 10mins after you turn off the ignition.

Not many people know that engines actually get hotter after you turn them of for a period, no cooling, thats why your cooling fan sometimes runs when you turn off your engine.
Yope, try to feel it 2 hours after you stoped the car. Damn hot!

How long do you guys wait before switching off the car,
If I drive hard I leave it for about 4-5min, if I drive it normaly not above 3000 rpm than I wait arround 20 sec. Is that allright.

P.S: can I flor my car if I turn it on and leave it for about 5 min runing on idle (the fan is already working) or should I drive it more safely for some minutes and than I can trash it.

#14 ·
Originally posted by CupraClaire
Is this auxilliary water pump the buzzing I hear for a while after engine is switched off?
Yep.. thats the one.. :)

regards
Bill

G
#15 ·
Ive got a Leon with a Clifford on it. I wanted the turbo timer swith on it, but eventually the fitter said that it wasnt worth it. The engine warning light kept coming on and you would have to disable the standard alarm and immobiliser via the chip in the key.

When I got my car tuned by RSD they said that Clifford dont actually recommend putting their alarms on the 1.8t. Something to do with a voltage drop under 11.38 volts that can leave the throttle open at the wrong position which can cause a lack of power. I mean Clifford fitters are happy to take your cash but has anybody else hear about this?

Dont get me wrong Clifford are the B0110X, and so far I have had no problems! The Clifford activates my standard allarm aswell.

Keep the :burg: bsards away!

Also about the 4-5minutes warmdown, I do the same almost always especially after ragging it. Think that Im pissing of my local Shell garage though!:moony:

#17 ·
Originally posted by Surfer_D

Yope, try to feel it 2 hours after you stoped the car. Damn hot!

How long do you guys wait before switching off the car,
If I drive hard I leave it for about 4-5min, if I drive it normaly not above 3000 rpm than I wait arround 20 sec. Is that allright.

P.S: can I flor my car if I turn it on and leave it for about 5 min runing on idle (the fan is already working) or should I drive it more safely for some minutes and than I can trash it.
I would'nt generally advise that anyone drive the car hard from cold... Get the temps up to normal first. Does'nt take too long.

If being on maximum beans before hand.... allow it to cool for a few mins... time is dependant on how hard its been driven previously.

I have posted this next bit a few times previously but its interesting none the less.

Find your local hill where you can drive full throttle for a few mins. Do it just as its getting dark. Get to the top of the hill and stop ASAP, but DO NOT switch off the engine. Open the bonnet, and have a look at the rear of the engine bay.... It will be glowing RED HOT. Turbo and manifold will be glowing. If you want to guage how long to leave it before switching off, see how liong it takes for the glow to go away. It will be 5mins or more I think.

I might do this on mine and take some digi piccies so you can see it. Its quite a spectacular thing to see, and gives you a real appreciation for why you should leave it running after a thrash.

Red hot glow, no oil = Cooked oil in the bearing housing, even though there is at least this auxiliary water pump recirculating water through things.

regards
Bill

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.