SEAT Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
im a newbie so dont get miffed if this question gets asked alot but how the hell do you get rid of that heatshield rattle on the 97ish cupra sport?
And last question does anyone know the exact wheels specs for the 8v cupra ie i know its 15inch that run on 185/55 r15 but i dont know the wheel width or the offset as im getting some new ones any ideas?

Oh and can i say this is a spankin good site!

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
Glad you're enjoying the site!

I'm afraid I can't help you on the questions, but the guys will deffo get back to you on this one. The forums get busier once people get back to their PCs at work.

If you want to see a MK2 Cupra with a difference, go to the main page and check out the pictures of Cupra Dave's car!!!!

Abi ;)

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
the heatshield rattle is usually on the front pipe. it's a right pain in the ar*e but there are a few options.

new front pipe

removing front pipe and cutting heatshield off (u'd need 2 wrap it with some kind of heat prof tape coz it get's real hot and is close to a few sensor wires)

you could possibly get it welded back again, it's spot welded on and that's what breaks and causes the rattle

a couple of jubilee clips around the heatshield could pull it tighter and stop the rattle (worked on my 16v)

there's a few options 4 ya mayb one will work ;)

as 4 the wheels i can find out @ work about offsets etc coz it's all on the parts computer.

hope that's been of some help :)

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
not a prob :)

i'll find details on the wheels 2moz and post em up 4 ya ;)

in the meantime enjoy the site :)

G

·
Welcome Wee Man, feel free to make this your home, its a pretty friendly places and we are doing a special on 4 Bedroom Houses at the moment :D

Enjoy the site

·
Registered
173 Posts
Originally posted by Wee man
Hi
im a newbie so dont get miffed if this question gets asked alot but how the hell do you get rid of that heatshield rattle on the 97ish cupra sport?
And last question does anyone know the exact wheels specs for the 8v cupra ie i know its 15inch that run on 185/55 r15 but i dont know the wheel width or the offset as im getting some new ones any ideas?

Oh and can i say this is a spankin good site!
Hi wee man, welcome to the site.

My heat shield around the cat gets spot welded toghether every so often- every other heat shield has been removed already!

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Christ, mine is silent when taking off but put my foot down and that noise starts, wouldnt mind but i swapped my honda accord which didnt make a squeak so now everyones takin the pish sayin its a banger, ah well at least i know its in good order and me girlfriend likes the colour so shes sweet just need to talk her up so i can get the alloys........!!!

·
Registered
173 Posts
it rattles around the 3500 thou on mine- well not at the mo- probably next time it goes ill have it removed(fire retardent foam in order me thinks:D )

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
cool that sounds bout rite as the tyres are 185/55/R15 with a max fit of 6.5, but bad news for me as that means if i get the alloys that i want which are the lightest alloy wheels around theyre 7x15 which means ill have to use a 195/50/R15 which will change the rpm of the wheel plus increase the surface area/contact area and create more friction, B u g g e r !!!!

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
but sayin that if i pick a tyre like pirelli p7000 which slightly overstates their widths that surface increase will only be about 1% whereas the decrease in weight is approx 28% and 28% less rotational mass+unsprung weight should in theory be more cost effective than getting it turbo'ed

I just wish i could mould carbon-fibre

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
here u go wee man

6J x 15 rim
ofset is ET38
PCD is 4/100

hope that helps :)

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
185/55 and 195/50 tyres have the same rolling radius

and

195/50 tyres are cheaper than 185/55 cause they are more common and used on more cars

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
185/55/R15 static radius 270 revs per mile 900
195/50/R15 static radius 267 revs per mile 914

thats 14 more revs per mile the 195 is smaller than the 185

and then say u do 10.000 miles that 14000 times more that the tyres go round just to do the same as the 185's

that will be a fare increase in mpg over a couple of years

1 - 20 of 21 Posts