SEAT Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused:
Has anybody had any problems with a VR6 2.9 Corrado engine as my brothers seems to be drinking water, are there water pump problems ?? we've checked that it isnt the head gasket, there are no leaks, yet the oil stays prity cool the rad fans are comming on usualy after about 30 mins driving.

anybody any clues ??

thanks in advance

·
Registered
853 Posts
Is this in a Corrado? Have you drained the water system recently?

You might have an air lock some where in the system if you have one it could be blowing the water out as the air expands.

I used to get them in my old triumph Spitfire (Hmmmm). Run it standing with the bonnet up until it is slightly warm (e.g 1 or 2 mins) and give it some welly on the throttle and see what happend to the reserve reservior.

On the spit it was easier - the cap was on the radiator - when I changed the radiator and refilled the system - gave it some welly - it took another pint of water to top it up !!!

If you have not drained the system recently it could be that you have a pipe which is only leaking once warmed up.

I once wondered why the fuel gauage on my Spit was going down so quick, stopped, and started it up again. On opening the bonnet saw that a fuel pipe had split and was spraying petrol towards the manifold - luckily i had an alloy heat shield on my K&Ns which had deflected it and there was enough length on the pipe to shorten it and reconnect it (Ah happy days...)

:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had a Golf VR6 (2.8) and had a similar problem, It over reved once and blew the main hose to the radiatoir,once the hose was fixed it was never the same,was going through a tank of water every couple of days. For other reasons I sold it back to the garage I bought it from and got a phone call from a Bloke a few months later who had bought it and was trying to find out the history of the car as it was an ex Alpine dealers demo car, he said the head gasket had gone. Think this must have happened when it over reved. Good engines but they definetely dont like lots of revs.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It's quite common for the black plastic thermostat housing to warp. This causes a leak but it's fairly small and the coolant boils off on the engine block, leaving little trace. Try to see if you can spot any white trails leading down from the thermostat housing.

If you need a new one it'll cost around £70 inc. VAT for all the parts from VW (and I mean every bolt,washer,rubber seal, plastic housing, G11, the lot!) and should take 2 hours labour. I've done it myself so any more problems, just shout.

Another failure might be a tiny hose split, electric or normal water pump seal failure - sometimes only found when the engine is running. I've experienced the first two and the electric pump costs around £130 plus labour (or DIY).

Point your brother towards : http://www.vw-corrado-club.co.uk/
there are a lot of technically adept people there who may help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts