SEAT Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
69,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep hearing people banging on about how much quicker the Leon Cupra R is and how much better it is etc and want to know why.

Ok it has 210bhp, but mine can't be far off that, an exhaust should help reach that figure with the APR chip.

It has 18's, but me too...

So what else. The suspension is a bit lower I think but is that all there is to this agile wotsit Seat keep banging on about?

I want to know why people are thinking of chopping in their Leons for an R when you can acheive the same thing with a few simple mods...

Pete

G

·
Hear Hear ........ me thinks of the Ibiza Cupra R ..... same thing mate, it has alloys that you can buy a lot cheaper and erm Brembo Four Pots and erm stiffer suspension!

So we can already badge ours R's mate ;)

·
Registered
69,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No leather, unless you have it as an option... It does have recaros though... I'm more interested in the performance differences though, if wheels, suspension and chip are the only differences then why is everyone sooo conserned with changing..

Oh and Si, you know that in a couple of weeks time I'll be sorted for that... Not sticking an R badge on though, well maybe.. ;)

Pete

·
Registered
61 Posts
Didn't think the Leon R had leather as an option? I think however, you do get the choice if you import. But £1500 for 2 Recaro's :eek:

There are a few more toys on the standard Leon, but as Pete said, why bother when for a similar costing, you can get the same (or roughly) and then it becomes individual.

The worst thing is I could have probably got a Cupra R by now, insted of STILL waiting! Not even a build week in sight yet.
:wound:

AND the insurance companies are treating it as the same group as a normal Cupra - which is a bit of a bummer, as that was the reason why I didn't consider getting one - at 22, a normal Cupra's gonna cost me enough:swear:

G

·
Yeah Pete, I can see where your coming from, but the R does have some extra bits that I would like on mine. Front bumper looks wicked and is all colourcoded, bigger wheels, bigger brakes, better seats and a benchmark 210 bhp which is already on the books as a 250bhp conversion, same as the S3. Its just like every new model they bring out, its just probably slightly more refined and quicker. At the end of the day I wont be chopping in mine as its already got the 210 conversion hopefully with sheadloads more torque, bigger brakes are on the way and a PSS9 kit on it would make it handle better than an R anyway.
Must admit i do think that the R is a good looking car and cant wait to have a burn with one.:D :D :p

·
Registered
69,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah but the thing is people with Leons are thinking, and some are, changing to an R but aren't getting the best deals on trade in's as usual. So what is the point when for less you can add most of the features to the one you have. Ok so wheels, suspension, kit, and chip get you to a better spec than a standard R IMO. I'm just trying to work out why others don't seem to think the same way.

Maybe the insurance is a point. My insurance on an R replica would probably be higher than an actual R... Other than that I can't see anything to tempt me to change there...

Pete

·
Registered
23 Posts
I drove a LEON R at the weekend and it is not that much faster than my current LEON as it is 70 kg heavier I reckon a chipped 180 bhp Leon will be quicker in a straight line, although Ithe R's handling, ride and brakes are well sorted, Pete just take one for a drive and you will understand why people are chopping in the old for the new.
I did think about modifying my car with new wheels, brakes, suspension and body kit but when you add it up I will be better off buying a new car. unfortunatley even though I have sourced an R for £16100, I can not take the risk of getting into more debt at the moment so I will have to stick with my current car.

·
Registered
69,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh don't worry mate, the tunes will be droppin'... Only problem is I haven't had much time so the install quality will be a bit low. Might not even be trimmed up..

But never fear it'll be pumping... ;)

Pete

G

·
The R suspension isn't just slightly uprated shocks and springs, its been redesigned fairly extensively and has a new rear subframe/suspension assembly as far as we're led to believe.
I wouldn't assume PSS9s on a normal Cupra would be better, although it would certainly close the gap.
Also the R has a quicker steering rack, and those Brembos would cost a packet on their own.
To get a normal Cupra up to the same spec in all departments would cost far more than the 2 grand difference SEAT are charging, and the R has easy 250-260bhp potential just from a chip.
Having said all that, if I already had a chipped Leon Cupra I probably wouldn't bother changing due to amount of money it would cost you.
I think if you're buying a brand new UK car now its not worth buying a normal Cupra if you're planning to mod it much.
However there are big savings to be made as an import, a 2003 with full fetish leather for under 14k sounds tempting - cheap enough to chip it to 210bhp and still have a fair amount of change over an R even if it doesn't handle and stop as well. Plus the 2003 looks almost as good.
As the R can't be imported any cheaper than about £16.5k I guess it boils down to how much money you have.

As for a Scooby 17k is pretty much new import WRX money, although unlike the Leon R (fine out of the box) I think the WRX will soon force you to spend at least another 2 grand getting all the usual Scooby mods (to make it less ugly and tweak it to 250bhp-ish). And it'll cost more to run.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Guys, just thought I'd stick my two pennerth in here seeing as I actually have one now... right where shall we start, Ah, I know performance.

Do not kid yourselves one little bit that a chipped Cupra will stay with an "R". The performance is in a totally different league. My old Cupra had an Upsolute chip and was nowhere near as quick as the new one. Not even remotely near!!! 2nd & 3rd gear are like something out of Star Treck... warp factor 9 captain :D

Handling is nothing short of fantastic, little or no body roll, faster steering and generally well and truly planted.

Brakes, yes they definately stop you. EBA (emergency brake assist) as well as ABS. Love the Brembo's.

For anyone looking at a new Cupra, get the R. Its worth every penny of the 2 grand over the standard one.

:elo:

G

·
I have the 210 conversion which is supposed to have 225flb of torque and would like to see the staight line difference with yours considering it is 70kg heavier and has 200flb torque. Hopefully gonna be test driving one soon so watch this space.:D

G

·
Go on Russ Power to the re-maps!

To be honest as somebody else has said, if it was a case of getting something like a Scooby Import or a Leon Cupra R then the Scooby would win every single time.

The Leon Cupra R is NICE, but you dont go "wow thats phat" and then you pay £17,000 for it!

·
Registered
69,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have to dissagree there. Put a scoody and a Leon R next to each other and I know which one I'd take...

Scoobys are ugly...

And russ I would agree with you. Our cars have more Torque than a standard R.. We just need the twin intercooler setup from one... ;)

Pete

G

·
Who cares about looks mate the power of the Scooby beats a Leon Cupra R hands down and has some nice goodies as well!

Nice looking isnt worth paying £16,000 for, I would even then have a look at the Integra Type R :p

G

·
Originally posted by CupraSi
Who cares about looks mate the power of the Scooby beats a Leon Cupra R hands down and has some nice goodies as well!

Nice looking isnt worth paying £16,000 for, I would even then have a look at the Integra Type R :p
I'm undecided on the next car, both have pros and cons.
Standard UK WRX is only 215bhp (STi a different kettle of fish but then it costs a lot more), weighs more than the Leon R and also 4x4 transmission losses mean "on the road" the Leon may well have it licked in mid range acceleration.
0-60 is more dependent on traction so the Leon loses out to the Scooby.
I just couldn't have a standard WRX, knowing Leon Rs and Civic Type Rs would give you a hard time let alone the Focus RS.
The WRX is easy to get to 250bhp, but so is the Leon.

I think the Leon looks much better than the WRX. The forthcoming Scooby facelift may redress the balance a bit.
One other thing is the Scooby has that brilliant flat four exhaust note, although they need de-catting to really sound the business.

P.S. Sure one guy with a Leon RSD 210 (more torque) said the R he drove felt a bit slower, although that was brand new so was a little tight.
The Rs got to be less liable to suffer intercooler heat soak though on these hot summer days.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts