SEAT Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok here is the scenario....
its 10 to 6 in the morning, just off to work i go own to get garage to get some bacon for my breakfast.
i get about 3 miles, the heater is on as its damn chilly, when inotice and odd smell. then my passenger footwell lights up, hmm strange, last time i checked i didnt have courtesy (sp) lights!
quickly pull over, and very luckily, last week i put a fire extinguisher in my car, admitdely it is a little overkill as it is a pretty big c02 one, usualy found in workshops ect but i thought if i ever have a fire and one of them little ones run out before its completley extinguished, then what do i do?
so i pull out the pin and blast it under the passenger footwell until it has all gone out get the torch out and examine.
it woudl appear that when i had the water problem, some of the water had run down the heater cables and corroded the connection plug which in turn had shorted itself out and the plastic plug had caught fire.
should a fuse not have gone first?
main point of this really is to emphasis how important it can be to have a fire extinguisher in your car, had i not have had it my entire car could have gone up, and it owes me far too much time, sweat, blood, tears and money for that!

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
you'll probably find the fuse has gone, either that or it was 2 high rated for it :s

bloody lucky mate, I had a extinguiser in my golf but that was needed as it could of gone up in flames at any time lmao :p:

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
after watching that video on youtube of a seriously nice mk4 glf going up in flames, ive decided that the bigger the fire extinguisher i can fit in there the better. just need to find a decent place where i can mount it now ,needs to be out of the way but still within reach from my seat

·
Registered
6,302 Posts
Just get a small one to keep up front with you within easy reach, and a second larger one mounted in the boot. Hopefully the small one will be enough for anything that happens, but then you've always got the big one to fall back on if the small wasn't enough.

·
Registered
215 Posts
graffa was this in ur 1.4??

If it was u aint had much lucky with that car since u aquired it!!

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah it was the 1.4 hasnt been alot of luck no lol, gives me something to o i spose lol slowly its getting there, needs the camber and tracking done soon, will get that done when i have a new tyre put on the front as the passenger side frotn tyre needs changing as soon it will be illegal. £55 for another kuhmo ecsta which i didnt think was too bad.
yeah that golf was nasty, must have been bloody hard for the bloke to just sit there and whatch it burn knowing there was nothing else he could do.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.