Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi people,

I was unlucky enough to have to attend a work conference in Inverness last weekend, but the plus was that I got to blitz some quiet high level mountain roads on the way there and back. It was fantastic to be able to really push the limit of my car with few other folk around (think I only passed five other cars in over 60 miles). As a guide to my enthusiasm I managed to literally take off several times on one long undulating straight (at well over 90)! I rate the mods on my car as follows...

1 - the Koni setup is superb. I still get a little body roll but the handling is tight and neutral (I used to get a touch of oversteer but I've rectified this by putting the spare back in) and I can really carve up tight sets of turns at ridiculous speeds. I have yet to experience understeer with this setup.

2 - the Toyos are just the best tyres I've ever had. All of the above driving was done in the wet (with lots of standing water), without a hint of slippage (apart from a touch of spin when being enthusiastic out of tight corners).

3 - the K&N does little for power but provides the right soundtrack!

4 - the Tarox discs and Pagid pads performed very well. They aren't mega sharp but they do provide great feel with a massive amount of braking in reserve when you really stamp on the middle pedal. I found that in over 2 hours of extremely fast driving on very twisty roads I didn't get a hint of fade (although they were stinking by the time I got home).

Apart from outright power up the short straights, I reckon I could keep up with anyone on such roads - I might dream of owning a Cupra but in reality I just love my 1.6S. If you've got one follow my list of mods and you'll be smiling every day... :)

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
WX51 TXR said:
Apart from outright power up the short straights, I reckon I could keep up with anyone on such roads -QUOTE]

OK Ritchie, next time I go on a run over the Cairn I will give you a shout. Then we will see ;) :rolleyes:

Gareth

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gulp! Maybe I should have said just about anyone! Clearly I wouldn't have much chance against a 'proper' sports car like yours. Having said that, you haven't seen me drive on such roads - just ask Mike and Iain about the return from the last meet at Perth. ;). I'll rephrase to just about anyone... :D

·
Registered
327 Posts
Thats not a proper sports car thats a hairdressers car Gareth drives!

Good review Rich! The 1.6 Leon is a cracking car (I'm not biased much :D)!

Iain

·
Registered
156 Posts
You can have a car that is tuned to death AND not be able to drive it and still be kept up with by a decent handling car that on paper should get its A$$ kicked.

Nice one!! Enjoy it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.