SEAT Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

After missing my 2001 Leon Cupra I started to look on autotrader to see what they're going for these days and I noticed how cheap Toledo V5s were.:confused1bb:

Now I'm guessing that it's a combination of the Saloon shape and the economy, but they seem such a lot of car for the money.

Anything else (other that the leaks) that is a problem with them?

Cheers,

Michael.:happy8se:

·
Registered
427 Posts
Probably just not as desirable as the leon. We have a 51 Toledo 1.9 TDI and the clutch went once but that would prob be different anyway on V5. are you thinking of buying one.

·
Registered
6,302 Posts
Volte;782492 said:
Hi,

After missing my 2001 Leon Cupra I started to look on autotrader to see what they're going for these days and I noticed how cheap Toledo V5s were.:confused1bb:

Now I'm guessing that it's a combination of the Saloon shape and the economy, but they seem such a lot of car for the money.

Anything else (other that the leaks) that is a problem with them?

Cheers,

Michael.:happy8se:
I think you've hit the nail on the head mate. Saloons have never been as popular in the UK as they are in the rest of Europe, so tend to cost less second hand than there hatchback siblings. Also, in this current high fuel price climate, the V5 is a thristy motor to keep going, and probably not cheap to tax/insure either than the 1.9TDi which seems more popular in the Tolly.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1.9 TDI;782496 said:
Probably just not as desirable as the leon. We have a 51 Toledo 1.9 TDI and the clutch went once but that would prob be different anyway on V5. are you thinking of buying one.
Yeh, thinking about it - just not sure how it will compare in performance to my leon, and I want something as a basis for a nice ICE install - that massive boot may come in helpful.

·
Registered
319 Posts
The V5 won't match a Cupra for performance. There are 2 versions the 150bhp (upto about 2000) and the 170bhp version (2000 onwards - I think). I have a 150 version and its 0-62 dash is just under 9 which isn't blistering fast but rapid enough to get away from the lights quickly. The main think the V5 has is Torque. It is a great cruiser and will sit at 100mph all-day (law permitting). You also get a load of goodies for your money; Cruise Control, Electric Seats, Computer, Armrest, Electric Folding Mirrors, Rear Sunblind etc... Mine has done 110750 miles now and hasn't had much go wrong with it. The Maf sensor went but everything else is wear and tear. 1st set of rear supsension struts were fitted the other day. The only other thing is the low sump (damaged mine a week or 2 ago - Easy to fit a new one), but I suspect you know about that from the Cupra.

All in all, it is a good car and a lot of car for the money. I haven't seen much out there that is on an equal par with the Tolly and indeed the V5. I'm 31 with max. NCB and it costs £380 a year with protected no claims, Tax is £185 py and fuel consumpsion is about 29 - 31'ish...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Don't hesitate to buy a Toledo V5, if you are in two minds to buy one, ok they are cheaper than, leons, bora, passat, A3, but compare the values and see what you get in extras, not alot of people know about them, they ask you, what model it is?, the reply you get is "never heard of it", but once they start looking around a V5, they become amazed, infact so amazed one of my friends has just bought one and he is so over the moon, with it, just cannot believe what alot of car he has got, i have drove and owned many cars, but this is the car i really enjoy driving, it has space, is comfortable , the boot space is great and wait for it, even the wife enjoys driving it, thats a first, tend not to let her drive it that much really, as for the V5 engine itself it is strong, capable of doing high mileages easily and don't be worried about the cam belt snapping, it has not got one, it is chain driven, what a car, love them or hate them, guess what, I LOVE MINE !

·
Registered
453 Posts
yup love mine to bits to! paid 16k for it brand new and not had a lot go wrong (coilpacks) but thats it, to be honest the residual values have me gutted loose too much money on it, its one of the reasons i kept it and modified it instead of buying a new car, (was going for a evo8, but the price i would get trade for mine was abysmal plus the extra running costs of the evo), decided to modd the v5 instead buy a new plasma tv sky hd and dvd recorder and go on my jollies with the money, looking back i love the v5 and dont think ill ever sell it now its just such a sweet car and gets loads of looks / compliments.

chris

ps im 32 and pay less then £400 insurance on it all mods declared

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had never been interested in seat's untill recently when i was on the look out for a new car and had been looking at hyndia coupes when a 02 v5 caught my eye and so i went and had a look, as soon as i set eyes on it and more to the point drove it i was smitten and brought it, 29,0000 miles 1 owner fsh 170bhp and all the gizmo's you could wish for. The car was a real steel and drives lovely, being a police pursuit driver and knowing how a car should drive i would recommend a v5 170 to anyone.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've had my '99 V5 for about 3 years now. Love it...although it's had a few niggles over that time....nothing major, just the usual suspects of the MAF going and leaky doors. I also had to have the break master cylinder replaced and a new heater matrix for the air con system.

Overall though, it is one of the nicest cars I've ever driven. All the toys and very comfortable. Effortless cruising. Tax and insuarnce are not that bad (I get my insurance for about £280 - fully comp with protected NCD). I can get just over 30mpg in it (normal driving...not old granny driving :) ).

I think it's price is a reflection of the fact that it's a saloon and that it's a thirsty-ish engine.

If I had one criticism it would be that there is a relatively small opening to the cavernous boot!

Such a shame the new Toledo is such a hideous monstrosity! Who ever came up with the design should be shot! I don't think they do a V5 any more either.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Resently bought a 170 V5. great car cant get anywere near 30 mpg more like 22 mpg on average. been looking for tuning parts but yet unable to find any. motor looks alot if not identical (exept qty of cylinders) to the golf vr6 lump. anyone have any ideas. looked at golf v5 4motion tuning but gain not alot about.

·
Registered
453 Posts
mods are hard to come by and mega expensive, only things o could find are

exhaust/filter (not induction) and a remap (wot ive had)

rebore/rebuild.......

supercharger (wot i want)

most people say that if u want to tune buy a 1.8t but if you search some american vw sites they have had some luck adding turbos etc but its mostly experimental stuff boo hoo

·
Registered
319 Posts
felton552;785411 said:
Resently bought a 170 V5. great car cant get anywere near 30 mpg more like 22 mpg on average. been looking for tuning parts but yet unable to find any. motor looks alot if not identical (exept qty of cylinders) to the golf vr6 lump. anyone have any ideas. looked at golf v5 4motion tuning but gain not alot about.
22 mpg!!! That is mega low. OK, I have the 150 version which is meant to be less economical than the 170 and I get about 29 - 31 in the UK and somewhere around 33 - 34 in France and Spain (less stop start and better roads). I just got back from Spain in mine on Saturday and I filled it up once at the Spainish/French border, once in Ligomes and once just outside Boulogne and I still have 1/2 a tank left. And I only did about 150 miles of that on an Auto route, the rest was on 2-way roads.

Don't think there is a lot you can do with regards to modding the engine other than whats been mentioned elsewhere in this thread. When it comes to mod's, I think the only things I really want to do is to colour coded the lower part of the bumpers and side rubbing strips and add the Cupra side skirts on to it. Other than that, I like the way it looks...

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was shocked to when looking around for a toledo at the low costs thay are fetching now days but dont let that put you off as the toledo is just a VW Bora and all your paying for is the badge. the spec of the V5 toledo is brill with everything you need pluss more. the only thing ive had go wrong with my V5 is the MAF sensor and seems to be a thing that goes on alot of the VAG engines so make sure yours is ok. when i had my ECU red for faults it came up with Lambdard and coolent sensor we faulty so i changed both just to find it was the MAF sensor as some ECU's dont pick up faulty MAF sensors and now the car goes like a train and uses less fuel (35mpg)
Allso the folding mirrors seem week as i have seen loads of cars were the drivers mirror strugel to fold back when using the electic folding mirror, im notsure if its to do with the mirror getting a wack or not .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts