SEAT Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,302 Posts
Personally, I won't be upgrading just yet. Vista certainly looks good, but is still new, so I'm gonna give it time for Micro$oft to work at least some of the bugs and security flaws out of it, and give hardware & software manufacturers a bit more time to make sure their stuff is 100% compatible, as I know at least one of the games I own (RCT3) has issues on Vista at the moment.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Unless you use the best of hardware then dont upgrade, there are far to many bits of kit that you can't get Vista drivers for.

Example is my new works laptop (got a few to setup), hp says it's "vista ready/compatable" but you cant get the correct drivers for the HD Sound in it...... so it'll run Vista OK but with no sound :(

From an IT /Network Admin point of view wait until Service Pack 1 comes out, then get it, that'll sort out a lot of the bugs - and also make sure that you can get drivers for everything you use (like webcams, skype phones, any USB things, digi cameras....).

As for the "is it worth it or that much better", if you've used a Mac in the last 5+ years then youll wonder what all the fuss is about, i think that there is only one game out (or comming out) thats Vista-only and thats by MS themself!!!.

Also for Video Cards Vista supports DirectX-10, there are very few cards just now that will do it propperly and they cost a fair bit....

I've used it, run it just now to play about with on a test PC at home, and in a worldwide network of over 1,000 PCs will be waiting until next year to roll it out :)

Also - forgot to add ...... if you get a new retail copy of PX Home just now they are almost all comming with free upgrades to Vista, dont know if it's time-limited or not

Dave

·
Registered
333 Posts
chase06;785781 said:
Has anyone gone to Windows Vista from XP?

Considering upgrading but looking for some opinions before I fork out :D

Any opinions welcome!
A tip, dont 'upgrade', buy a full version and do a completely new installation. Upgrades are resource hungry and grab disk space. You should be able to get an OEM full version from Ebuyer.

Persoanlly I'm not going to bother, have recently built my new PC with 'Vista approved' components, but can't see anything there other than a big price tag.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.