SEAT Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've not managed to find an answer to this myself but i need to know so i'll risk looking daft and air it here... ANYWAY

is it possible to wire a single 4ohm sub so that the amp runs at 2 ohm... only one set of connections on the sub (sure i've seen subs with two sets of terminals) so i'm at a loss...

thanx in advance!!

·
Registered
69,316 Posts
OK there is some confusion over this topic so I'm not surprised you are having trouble... I'll try and explain a few things.

OK there are two types of sub, single voice coil and dual voice coil. With a SVC there isn't much you can do about it's value but a DVC you can. With a DVC you can wire the two coils up in two ways series or parallel. OK so taking a DVC with 2 x 4 ohm coils ( the most common type) ....

wire both + terminals together and both - terminals togther and you get 2ohms.

wire one + to the - of the other coil and then use the remaining + and - to connect to the amp, giving 8ohms.

Got that? Right well here is where I really mess your head up..... :)

IF you are using a 2 channel amp and running it in bridged mode, this is where the confusion sets in...

if you connect a 4ohm speaker to one of the channels, that channel sees a 4 ohm load. BUT when connected into bridged mode ( + on one channel - on another ) the amp ACTUALLY sees a 2ohm load.

It's an internal electrical thing and if you're amp says it is 2ohm stable what it means is you can run it in 2 channel mode with 2 ohm loads on each channel OR in bridged mode with a single 4 ohm load ( which internally the amp sees as 2 ohm. )

I hope that helps... ( but probably confuses everyone... )

Pete

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
now lets see if i can confuse you...:D

i'm running a 2 channel amp in bridged mode to power the sub and was goin to get a second sub running from the same amp also bridged.... would that then make it a 1 ohm load to the amp??

·
Registered
69,316 Posts
Yes it would... ( see you can't confuse the ICE Man :) )

And most 2 channel amps will either shut down or get damaged by doing that... ( what is it? )

Sorry mate but the only way to do that safely is to buy a propper sub amp. Or to wire the two subs in series so the amp sees 4 ohms instead but there's no point in getting the second sub in that case..

Sorry mate..

Pete

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its a vibe vp2 which is 2 ohm stable...

that puts my plans to rest! :( i'll get some piccies of my install and show you why i wanted two subs... just cant afford another amp at the mo!!

thanx anyway mate

1 - 5 of 5 Posts